What is the difference between a filter and a bookmark and when should use which ?

General discussion related to "Everything".
shodan

What is the difference between a filter and a bookmark and when should use which ?

Post by shodan »

Hi,

I was a bit confused earlier, what is the difference between a filter or a bookmark ?
They seem very similar and I don't understand when I should use one or the other ?!

bookmark menu
2023-05-15 23_26_21-Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1330a (x64).png
2023-05-15 23_26_21-Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1330a (x64).png (28.3 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
filter menu
2023-05-15 23_25_45-Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1330a (x64).png
2023-05-15 23_25_45-Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1330a (x64).png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
bookmark add
2023-05-15 23_25_57-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-15 23_25_57-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png (45.03 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
filter add
2023-05-15 23_25_23-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-15 23_25_23-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png (25.56 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
bookmark organize
2023-05-15 23_26_12-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-15 23_26_12-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png (29.82 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
filter organize
2023-05-15 23_25_35-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-15 23_25_35-General - voidtools forum — Mozilla Firefox.png (38.7 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
void
Developer

Re: What is the difference between a filter and a bookmark and when should use which ?

Post by void »

Filters
You can have one active filter at a time.
Filters do not change any search settings in the UI.
Use a filter when you want to combine a search with another search.
For example: filter folders only and set the main search box to: "Program Files"

Bookmarks
Bookmarks can be opened and will change your UI search settings.
Use a bookmark when you want to restore a previous search.
You can still combine searches, you'll just need to add to the existing search.
Can also be useful if you want to make minor adjustments to the search.
For example, restore a search for: c:\users\ \temp\ ext:tmp;exe
shodan

Re: What is the difference between a filter and a bookmark and when should use which ?

Post by shodan »

Thank you,

If I understand correctly,

the filter is like a "mode"

You enable it and it everything will keep all the search settings it defines until your turn it off, it's like changing the default search parameters

and bookmarks, are basically saved search queries, you can restore a previous search pattern exactly, but if you close the window, it's all gone

As far as functionality, I assume they work the same internally ?

So, they would all be like "settings overlay" that layer on top of one another

like "default search settings" is then modified by "filter search settings" which is then modified again by "bookmarks search settings" on top

Can more than one bookmark be enabled at once ?

Are there other consequences and usages to consider

-------------------------------------

I was searching the forum for more information and the following topic caught my eye

I tried to find all the "most viewed", "most linked" or "most commented" threads on the topic, but it seems this forum software has no such ability !
2023-05-16 02_11_17-voidtools forum - Search — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-16 02_11_17-voidtools forum - Search — Mozilla Firefox.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 8045 times

Anyway, here is what I found !

viewtopic.php?p=56072 What is a filter
viewtopic.php?t=4239 MUST SEE Large collection of bookmarks
viewtopic.php?t=12994 MUST SEE large collection of filter list by category of file extension types
viewtopic.php?p=54706 origin thread for above link
viewtopic.php?t=11946 "Subjective and incomplete file format lists in Filters' settings"
viewtopic.php?p=54778 more discussion of filters and long saved queries
viewtopic.php?p=51515 filter to hide hidden files and folders
viewtopic.php?p=51512 filter files with companion files
viewtopic.php?p=51480 filter for a list of extensions (and calling the filter from the searchbar ?)
viewtopic.php?p=51377 filter by file attributes
viewtopic.php?t=13313 filter for searching your mail (hey that's me)
viewtopic.php?p=52454 filter for searching your phone
viewtopic.php?p=51488 find folders with path starting and ending with search (more of a bookmark ?)
viewtopic.php?p=52975 encoding a search filter as a ES:// URL protocol ? es://mysearch?key=value&key2=value2&key3=value3
viewtopic.php?p=53029 synchronize filters from multiple everything instances (separate computers ?)
viewtopic.php?p=53076 using filters and macro
viewtopic.php?p=53529 filter to find duplicate files (by filesize ? (maybe with hash ?))
viewtopic.php?p=54134 search with fuzzy logic
viewtopic.php?p=54774 Filter for folder exclusions
viewtopic.php?p=55490 Filter side bar and saving important locations as filters
viewtopic.php?p=55503 macros without making a bookmark or filter
viewtopic.php?p=55950 searching by application file ext associations (todo)
viewtopic.php?p=55996 having more than 40 filters
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for posting these links, shodan.

How did you manage to create a dark theme in Firefox for this forum?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The dark theme does look neat.

As far as functionality, I assume they work the same internally ?
Basically, yes.

Can more than one bookmark be enabled at once ?
Short answer: no.
Long answer: yes, with bookmark macros.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

shodan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:13 amI tried to find all the "most viewed", "most linked" or "most commented" threads on the topic, but it seems this forum software has no such ability !
Hi shodan. I am impressed by your research and list of topics! :clapping:

As a side note: phpBB software is so deficient in its search mechanism that at least one phpBB site that I frequent uses Google bots to index the site, and recommends that users use Google search to get serious about locating posts.
Following a lengthy discussion about introducing SQL in the search mechanism I posted a manifesto(??) about searching in phpBB.
There were no takers!

Cheers, Chris
shodan

Post by shodan »

Hello,

Regarding the phpBB dark theme

I use addon Darkreader

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefo ... arkreader/

I tried the other, it is the best and it's fully automatic

BTW, I also made absolutely every app dark mode on my windows, even apps that don't support dark mode with a windows high contrast theme called GreyEve

https://github.com/nitschis/GreyEveTheme
https://github.com/nitschis/GreyEveThem ... heme.theme

It even makes the everything option page darkmode, and all those Qt apps that still have a white titlebar, like mumble and gajim !

Only two things you need to know about using grey eve
You have to disable high contrast mode in your browser

In firefox that's settings -> general -> colours
Override Firefox’s default colours for text, website backgrounds, and links. -> manage colours
Override the colours specified by the page with your selections above -> never

Also, in a few apps that support dark mode, you might need to switch them from automatic colours to force dark, this is because this high contrast theme looks like a light theme to them. This is very rare
Attachments
2023-05-16 14_38_16-voidtools forum - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-16 14_38_16-voidtools forum - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png (264.13 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
shodan

Post by shodan »

@ChrisGreaves

Zeroth, given how often the phrase "have you tried the search" comes up on forum, I find this very funny how broken search is on most forums

First

Do you know of a way to using external search with parametric argument like

if view count > 1000

if reply count > 1000

or if last reply date > 1900-01-01 and < 1901-01-01

But second, I think I have a proposal that will make all of this moot

Have you heard of

"using Low Rank (LoRa) algorithm to fine tune the LLAMA large language model (LLM) in conjunction with reinforcement learning from human feedback (RLHF)" ?

LLAMA is a "small" LLM like chatgpt, recently released as opensource by facebook, said to have performance in the 80% of that of chatgpt
But open source and able to run from not just a GPU with less than 8GB of VRAM, but even any SSD if you don't mind waiting

The thing about open source LLMs, is that we can fine tune them. That is, give them extra training on top by feeding them new, custom data sources.

LoRa is a method to do this fine tuning and so is RLHF (which puts humans in the loop for improved quality)

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ?

What I suggest, is dumping all the public SQL data from a phpBB forum, and using it to create a fine tuned, chatgpt-like LLM of that specific forum

Then we can ask the model questions about the forum's text and it will "know" all of it, concurrently without having to do any searching.

It would be like asking the forum's LLM questions as if it were a person itself.

Here is a few links about this procedure

https://huggingface.co/blog/stackllama
https://old.reddit.com/r/LocalLLaMA/com ... with_lora/
https://github.com/serp-ai/LLaMA-8bit-LoRA
https://github.com/tloen/alpaca-lora

I think every independent forum is going to become a very valuable source of data and these places often are the world's most advanced source of information for their respective topics

for further reference
Yannic Kilcher is one of the foremost expert on this topic, and he's using this method for building "OpenAssistant" an Alexa-like open source assistant built using marchine learning techniques rather than canned responses and symbolic code

He has previously demonstrated this technique of making ML chatbots based on forum data
By performing a fine tuning of the GPT2 open source model on the 4chan forum data
Abomination he calls GPT-4chan
This video clearly demonstrates the effectiveness of the technique
and explains the procedure (however this is a year old video that predates the release of chatgpt, things have advanced a lot since then !)

GPT-4chan: This is the worst AI ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPrtcLdcdM

His video about OpenAssistant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Izfm24FKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6cbeBY2oQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddG2fM9i4Kk
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

shodan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:46 pm I use addon Darkreader
Thanks a lot, shodan!

Installed it and my world looks brighter now :D
(well, ... you get the point)

Will take a look atr GreyEve.
Thanks again!
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

shodan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:46 pm Hello,

Regarding the phpBB dark theme

I use addon Darkreader

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefo ... arkreader/
I have been messing around for quite some time now with some sites and forums in terms of colors via CSS. And let me tell you all: unless it is a archaic site like https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ where almost nothing ever changes, it is a waste of time to construct your own theme - because one update of it can mess up your hard work

And so far I have encountered only one [old government] website which apparently has such bad original colors for links, buttons and titles of areas and columns, that Dark Reader is able to make the site overall dark but at the cost of visibility of those elements. Plus one of my banks does not tolerate this addon being turned on when login in, spitting out error about wrong password [I know: sounds crazy]. Plus every now and there I will spot an element of a site affected poorly by it

But nevertheless using it has been so far the best solution - you just have to remember to turn it off when you encounter some weird problem on a site, like e.g. not seeing the obviously missing BUY button on a renowned site or controls in photo gallery, because it is Dark Reader that might be hiding them completely [and not just visually blending with their surroundings]

shodan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:46 pm [...]
I also made absolutely every app dark mode on my windows, even apps that don't support dark mode with a windows high contrast theme called GreyEve

https://github.com/nitschis/GreyEveTheme
https://github.com/nitschis/GreyEveThem ... heme.theme
[...]
But does it work similarly to Dark Reader - i.e. is user able to turn it on and off for specified programs or even windows of them?
verviers

Post by verviers »

When we apply a filter, there is no query in search bar.
1.png
1.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
And when we apply a bookmark, there is always some text.
2.png
2.png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
How to to get the same behavior for bookmarks as for filters - not to show query string? Is there any option I have missed?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Filters are separate from your search.
Changing your filter will leave your search untouched.
This is by design.

Please consider showing the filter bar (View -> Filter bar)
-Double click the divider between the search box and filter bar to change sides.

-or-

Use bookmarks instead of filters.

-or-

Create a bookmark for each filter and reference the filter by a shorter macro, for example:
  • From a Bookmarks menu, click Add to bookmarks.
  • Change the Name to: My Audio Filter
  • Change the Search to: audio:
  • Click OK.
verviers

Post by verviers »

void wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:36 am Use bookmarks instead of filters.
I use bookmarks, but want to hide search query in search box when I apply a bookmark.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Ah!
Sorry, I thought you wanted the other way around.

Bookmarks will replace the text in your search box.

Please try filters instead of bookmarks ;)

One possible idea is to use bookmarks to active a filter, for example:
  • From the Bookmark menu, click Add to bookmarks.
  • Change the Name to: My Audio Filter
  • Change the Search to: /filter audio
  • Click OK.
When you open this bookmark, it will set your filter to: Audio
(leaving your search box unchanged)
verviers

Post by verviers »

void wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:09 am One possible idea is to use bookmarks to active a filter, for example:
So I should duplicate all bookmarks with filters. There is no logical sense. :? And if I do not do this, I see annoying search queries like this every time I apply a bookmark. It looks really bad for me.
3.png
3.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 6435 times
I need to see a search result, nor search settings for every bookmark.
Last edited by verviers on Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try filters instead.

To quickly select a filter press: Ctrl + K
verviers

Post by verviers »

void wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:27 am Please try filters instead.
There is no possibility to use custom search index in this case. So the only way for me is to follow bookmarks.

David, could you please make an option to hide search query from bookmark when we select it? Showing a super long query every time I use a bookmark has no sense for me. It only clogs workspace.
5.png
5.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 6411 times