Added the Hash computing function

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
cheneo

Added the Hash computing function

Post by cheneo »

Added the Hash computing function.I downloaded an image, but I think the image is already on the computer, and Everything has the Hash function, so you can quickly find out if there are duplicates in the catalog with many images.
therube

Re: Added the Hash computing function

Post by therube »

Is this a statement (that yes, it can do that), or a question (can it do that)?

Yes, you can have Everything compute hashes of files, & with that, find duplicates.
cheneo

Post by cheneo »

Regular duplicate file cleanup software scans the entire directory every time, which is fine if there are few files, and time-consuming if the directory is hundreds of gigabytes or more in size.Personally feel that the ideal local image search function: you can customize the directory to be indexed (multiple), you can choose to immediately or background index (which hash can be selected, there is a default type), the software will monitor the changes of the directory to be indexed in real time, such as a new copy of several files or files in the directory moved to other places in the directory, it will be indexed immediately.There is a picture just downloaded, I feel as if there is a hard disk, the use of software to calculate the hash value of the picture and the index library hash value comparison, you can get the result.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You'll need Everything 1.5 or later to compute hashes.

To instantly find duplicated files by size include the following in your search:

dupe:size

To find duplicated files by size and hash include the following in your search:

dupe:size;sha256

Finding duplicates
cheneo

Post by cheneo »

Good
froggie

Post by froggie »

void wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:49 am
dupe:size;sha256

Finding duplicates
Three questions about using "e: dupe:size;sha256":

1. It did not honor result omission. Specifically I had the recycle bin in result omission but it showed up in the duplicate results. Is this by design?

2. The wait or cancel prompt showed up in 2 or 3 seconds. Seems too short. Is there an init to change it?

3. The wait or cancel prompt was not always showing up on top. Is Everything waiting or processing while it remains unanswereed?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Gathering SHA256 information will take a very very long time.
1. It did not honor result omission. Specifically I had the recycle bin in result omission but it showed up in the duplicate results. Is this by design?
Omitted files should not show in your results.
Could you please send your search and result omissions to support@voidtools.com

2. The wait or cancel prompt showed up in 2 or 3 seconds. Seems too short. Is there an init to change it?
The wait/cancel prompt is only shown when you perform an action on the Everything database when Everything is already busy.
The wait/cancel prompt is shown after 1 second.

This delay can be set with the cancel_delay ini setting.

3. The wait or cancel prompt was not always showing up on top. Is Everything waiting or processing while it remains unanswereed?
The wait/cancel prompt should show above all other Everything windows.
However, it depends on the action you performed while Everything was busy.
Clicking on the result list will likely bring the Everything search window above the cancel/wait dialog.
I'll look into keeping the wait/cancel dialog above Everything search windows.

Everything will continue to gather sha256 information in the background while the wait/cancel prompt is shown.
cheneo

Post by cheneo »

Personally, I think the new version of Everything will be even more powerful by adding a Hash feature: accurately identifying files, no matter what format or name they are.For example, I downloaded an image named 20230922. Using the new version of Everything, I can compare the hash value of the downloaded image with the hash value of the index library to find out whether there are duplicate search results.