Tools | Compare Folders...

General discussion related to "Everything".
Stamimail

Tools | Compare Folders...

Post by Stamimail »

My recommendation here goes to Beyond Compare.
I don't see Everything can be an alternative for all its great features.
What features will be supported?
void
Developer

Re: Tools | Compare Folders...

Post by void »

Everything is not a folder comparer.

I would like to keep the future Everything Compare Folder feature simple.
(Mostly for viewing differences -not for merging folders)

What features would you like to see?

For me personally, I would find it useful to see if there's a difference between what Everything has indexed and what is on disk and for comparing file lists.
I could take a snap shot of my index each week as a file list and compare changes..
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I would agree - folder and file comparison is a dedicated project in itself, covered by WinMerge (which supports three-path compare as well as two) and others.
I don't think there is harm and there may be some good in having a very basic inbuilt folder list comparison feature, of the kind:-
standardsearchstring... Compare:NDSMnpmcLR comparesearchstring
where NDSM are (N) not in (D) in but differing (S) in and same (M) mix (some match the chosen options some don't)
which may already be covered by existing formulae, and nptc are find match based on (n) name, (p) path (m) modified timestamp (c) creation timestamp -- however I can see some people may want to search meta data -- and visualise by showing (L) left eqn i.e. standard search string items (R) right eqn i.e. compare search string items (LR would show both)
and possibly provide a means to launch a custom command (e.g. winmerge) on a differing item that picks up for the launch the item(s) it differed from
In terms of visualisation I would think standardsearchstring and comparesearchstring could be combined for the LR output filtered down to the desired results or standardsearchstring for the L eqn output without R and comparesearchstring for the R eqn output without L. By L & R I mean only the equations - any L & R results would be shown vertically as usual, with related items showing vertically together.
but I don't think it should ever go more than that, it should be more of a feature to facilitate the launching of a dedicated comparison tool to then compare file contents
you could reasonably argue it's not the highest priority but you could argue the opposite, since Everything does have the ability to find scattered files in a way that other tools don't so I could see it as useful for comparing randomly scattered files
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

I would like to compare windows properties attached to each folder date modified, date created, date accessed, size, child count etc... sort of like attaching properties to filenames that works similar to custom columns...if you can attach properties with filenames in custom columns, then something similar can be done with folder compare custom columns to find a match