Reindex at Will?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
capteelingurdian

Reindex at Will?

Post by capteelingurdian »

Hello,

So, unfortunately my windows crashed and I needed to reinstall.

Currently I'm in the process of moving document files over from an external hard drive back onto the C drive.

It seems like the application is finding files on the external drive where they are temporarily housed and on the C drive itself as I move them over one by one.

This is causing me some confusion in searching.

Is there anyway for me to force rebuild the index at will? So that, either just before or just after I disconnect the external drive, I can be sure I'm only searching in the C drive that's physically on the laptop computer itself, and not getting stored results from the external drive?

Sincerely,

Captee
void
Developer

Re: Reindex at Will?

Post by void »

I'm sorry to hear about the Windows crash.

I hope the reinstall goes well.

Please check your settings under Tools -> Options -> NTFS.

Automatically included fixed/removable volumes.

When enabled, Everything will automatically add your external drive when plugged in.

Automatically remove offline volumes.

When enabled, Everything will automatically remove your external drive when unplugged.

Include in database.

Select your external drive and uncheck Include in database to never include your external drive in your Everything index.

If you include your external drive in your index and wish to only search for files on your C: drive, include the following in your search:

c:

Please consider adding this as a filter:
  • From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: C: Only
  • Change the Search to: c:
  • Click OK.
Filters can be activated from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter macro or filter keyboard shortcut.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You are using Everything 1.5 (right?), so you can do :

menu:Index => Rescan => <your external drive>
capteelingurdian

Post by capteelingurdian »

Ah! BLESS you you BOTH!

Dr. V! THANKS, mate - it's right torture, I'll tell you. But, had to be done. Alas.

I'm just on the precipice of moving all the files off that poor ol' wounded drive and on to the shiny new on. The controls you mentions will be a HUGE help! :mrgreen:

Prof. NN! Yep, yep - you're right. I'm a 1.5-er. That rescan WILL be a HUGE assist!

THANKS AGAIN! <sips martini and faces the copy-to-new-drive command>

Sincerely,

Captee