Synchronize filters, bookmarks between two Everything instances?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Synchronize filters, bookmarks between two Everything instances?

Post by Biff »

What is the easiest method to get a single filter, bookmark or more to another Everything instance? Or to keep the filters / bookmarks (or some of them) synchronized / identical?
therube

Re: Synchronize filters, bookmarks between two Everything instances?

Post by therube »

With the instance you want to sync to, closed, simply copy the source files over top the destination, then run the second instance.

You could even set up a batch file that closes the particular instance, copies, then restarts that instance.
tuska

Post by tuska »

I use a separate folder for each further Everything instance.

Examples:

Code: Select all

C:\Everything\Everything_DRIVE-C\	Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv, Filters-DRIVE-C.csv
C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\	Bookmarks-Instant.csv, Filters-Instant.csv
C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\	Bookmarks-PRIVATE.csv, Filters-PRIVATE.csv
That is, I am currently updating changes in
C:\Everything\Bookmarks.csv
C:\Everything\Filters.csv

as follows:
  1. Copy the Bookmarks.csv and/or Filters.csv into the folders of the Everything instances (Everything_DRIVE-C\, ...)
  2. Copying the file name, e.g. Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv to the clipboard
  3. Delete the file Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv
  4. Rename the file Bookmarks.csv to Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv (paste from clipboard)
  5. and so on...
I would see an advantage if an Everything instance in a separate folder
could simply use the Bookmarks.csv or Filters.csv without having to rename them.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

tuska wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:13 pm ...
could simply use the Bookmarks.csv or Filters.csv without having to rename them.
Did you try creating an symbolic link with the other names for this 2 files.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Clever!!
(and it does work too :D)

EDIT: Spoke too soon: Everything overwrites the symbolic link on exit ...
(I should have known .. Everything first saves it as a .tmp file and then renames itto the original name)
Biff

Post by Biff »

I use a separate folder for each further Everything instance.
Yes, that's definitely a bit clearer. I cannot afford more than two instances anyway, I guess.
as follows:

Copy the Bookmarks.csv and/or Filters.csv into the folders of the Everything instances (Everything_DRIVE-C\, ...)
Copying the file name, e.g. Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv to the clipboard
Delete the file Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv
Rename the file Bookmarks.csv to Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv (paste from clipboard)
and so on...
So to copy ALL of the filters and / or ALL of the bookmarks from one Everything (instance) to another one just needs to copy the / these csv files and rename them in the destination (may be the same folder, if the instances are in a single folder) respectively add the name of the other instance?
Or if two or more instances could use the SAME / a SINGLE Bookmarks.csv or / and Filters.csv file (if one wanted to use the same bookmarks / filters in every instance).
tuska

Post by tuska »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:46 pm
tuska wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:13 pm ...
Did you try creating an symbolic link with the other names for this 2 files.
No, and I wouldn't mind if I could get by without symbolic links because I've never dealt with them before.
Having learned at great expense to create a junction for a multisync in Total Commander,
I'm afraid that this could end up being a huge time-consuming task again.

If you or anyone else knows a solution, I would like to try it.

Here are my paths:

C:\Everything\
C:\Everything\Everything_DRIVE-C\
C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\
C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVAT\
C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\
Biff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm I cannot afford more than two instances anyway, I guess.
In my opinion it depends on what you index in the other instances, e.g. content, etc.
and ultimately it depends on how much memory you have available.
Biff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm So to copy ALL of the filters and ...
It all depends on how you set it up - there's no harm in trying it out.
Biff

Post by Biff »

In my opinion it depends on what you index in the other instances, e.g. content, etc.
and ultimately it depends on how much memory you have available.
Yes, yes, sounds very plausible.
Biff wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm
So to copy ALL of the filters and ...

Sorry, trying out what? And set up what?
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:24 pm
Biff wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm
So to copy ALL of the filters and ...

Sorry, trying out what? And set up what?
Your directory structure for Everything instances
or it is easy to find out whether your changed filter or bookmark then works for another Everything instance.
Biff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm So to copy ALL of the filters and / or ALL of the bookmarks from one Everything (instance) to another one
just needs to copy the / these csv files and rename them in the destination
(may be the same folder, if the instances are in a single folder) respectively add the name of the other instance?
Biff

Post by Biff »

Your directory structure for Everything instances
or it is easy to find out whether your changed filter then works for another Everything instance.
I guess, for my two instances a single folder might be enough. The overview is fine, usually have nothing to do in the folder.
or it is easy to find out whether your changed filter then works for another Everything instance.
Well, I even cannot find out whether a filter works for the same Everything. To try out a filter on another instance I would like to copy (the single) filter only to the other instance. What is the fastest / easiest way to copy it? To manually copy the filter settings one by one?
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff
With two Everything instances in the same folder, for example, the following steps are required.

Example
  1. Select the "Bookmarks.csv" file in Windows Explorer
  2. Press Ctrl+C, then press Ctrl+V -> the file "Bookmarks - Kopie.csv" has been created
  3. Now rename the "Bookmarks-Kopie.csv" file to "Bookmarks-Instant.csv"
  4. In the same way, create the "Filters-Instant.csv" file.
"Instant" is the name of the Everything instance.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks!

Very sorry, I meant: how could I copy a SINGLE filter (not ALL of the filters, NOT the csv file). To copy the csv file meant to delete the filters in the destination instance which are not in the other instance, I would think. REAL synchronizing would be quite good or only the filters / bookmarks not available in the other instance or such.

What is the easiest / fastest method to just copy a SINGLE filter to another instance (not ALL of the filters)?
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:42 am What is the easiest / fastest method to just copy a SINGLE filter to another instance (not ALL of the filters)?
Have you already thought about your question yourself :?:

For me, duplicating and renaming a file is usually much less work than transferring field contents from one file to another.
Perhaps you will come up with a better solution if you reconsider the issue.

[Symbolic links could be a solution - the issue was raised above].
Biff

Post by Biff »

Have you already thought about your question yourself :?:
No, not since I wrote it here, I guess.
For me, duplicating and renaming a file is usually much less work than transferring field contents from one file to another.
Yes yes, of course, I would think so, too.
Perhaps you will come up with a better solution if you reconsider the issue.
Yes, but actually I can't really imagine.

OK, thank you very much!
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Horst.Epp
Now I have tackled the issue after all and I have created a symlink with a button in Total Commander *).
(... Make Symlink in Opposite Panel to FILE Under Cursor ...). The time required was minimal, by the way.

Current view - <LNK> for symlink in Everything sub-instance (Total Commander, Windows explorer: File type)

Name/Ext		Size		Date			Attr	File type	Everything	    Size	
Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv	<LNK>		02.02.2023 15:28	-a--	.symlink	files: attrib:L	    0
Filters-DRIVE-C.csv	<LNK>		02.02.2023 15:25	-a--	.symlink			    0
Previous view in Everything sub-instance

Name/Ext		Size		Date			Attr
Bookmarks-DRIVE-C.csv	110 048		28.01.2023 15:29	-a--
Filters-DRIVE-C.csv	 13 360		26.01.2023 12:14	-a--
This seems to work well, i.e. filters and bookmarks captured in the main instance
can be used without capturing in the sub-instance - after restarting the sub-instance.

I will observe this for a while and probably create more symlinks afterwards.
Thank you for your advice! :)

*) EDIT 2.2. 23:44: In the meantime, I even managed to create a symlink without using the TC button.
________________________________________________________________________________________
NotNull wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 pm Clever!!
(and it does work too :D)

EDIT: Spoke too soon: Everything overwrites the symbolic link on exit ...
(I should have known .. Everything first saves it as a .tmp file and then renames itto the original name)
I have not been able to observe this behaviour so far.
tuska

Post by tuska »

On the advice of Horst.Epp I have created symbolic links for the files "Bookmarks.csv", "Filters.csv" and "Macros.csv".
Here is a step-by-step description in English for the file "Filters.csv". Below is this description also in German language.

Purpose:
Automatic takeover of the settings, for example from the Filters.csv file (including changes/deletions)
from the Everything main-instance in Everything sub-instances.

Below is a picture of what it looks like when it is finished.

Create a symbolic link for a FILE.png
Create a symbolic link for a FILE.png (171.88 KiB) Viewed 9323 times

Create a symbolic link for a FILE
  1. Right-click on Desktop > New > Shortcut > type cmd > Next > cmd.exe is displayed > Finish
  2. Right-click on Shortcut on Desktop > Properties > Advanced... > ✅ Run as administrator > OK, OK
  3. Rename the shortcut to "cmd.exe - Admin" (F2, rename, ENTER)
  4. Double-click on the "cmd.exe - Admin" shortcut (.lnk - C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\cmd.exe - Admin.lnk)
  5. Confirm user account control query (UAC)
  6. Admin-DOS window "Administrator: cmd.exe - Admin" is opened; C:\Windows\System32> is displayed
  7. Display help/parameters for MKLINK: Enter mklink /? and press ENTER to display the parameters.
  8. To create a symbolic link for a FILE, the following parameters are required:

mklink link target (German: mklink Verknüpfung Ziel)
  9. First, however, it is necessary in the target directory, e.g. C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\ to DELETE the existing
    file "Filters-Instant.csv"
    (otherwise the symbolic link cannot be created).
    The deletion of the file can be done e.g. with a file manager or the Windows Explorer.
  10. In the Admin-DOS window, change to the target directory, e.g. C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\.
    The target directory is the directory in which the symbolic link for a file is to be created.
    Therefore enter: cd C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\ in the DOS window and press ENTER ("cd" = change directory).
    C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT> is then displayed in this window.
  11. In the Admin-DOS window, enter the following (adjust file name and path, then copy/paste) and press ENTER:

mklink Filters-Instant.csv C:\Everything\Filters.csv
    1. "Symbolic link created for Filters-Instant.csv <<==>> C:\Everything\Filters.csv" is displayed
    2. The symbolic link "C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\Filters-Instant.csv" was created with a file size of 0 KB
      • Total Commander: "<LINK>" is displayed in the "Size" column
      • Windows Explorer: "0 KB" is displayed in the "Size" column and ".symlink" as the file type
  12. In the Admin-DOS window: enter exit and press ENTER to close the window
  13. Start the sub-instance of Everything, e.g. Everything 1.5.0.1336a (x64) - (Instant)
  14. Important note: Changes or additions must ALWAYS be made in the main instance when using symbolic links!
    I.e. e.g. in C:\Everything\Filters.csv!
    Reasons:
    1. Otherwise, the main-instance overwrites the symbolic link with a new file of the same name,
      thus overriding ("destroying") the symbolic link. This can be seen e.g. from the file size:
      Symbolic link: File size 0 KB - File type: .symlink ... <=> ... new file e.g. "Filters-Instant.csv": File size e.g. 13 KB.
      NotNull » 03.02.2023: "BTW: making the symbolic link read-only (by setting the file attribute) doesn't prevent the overwriting."
    2. The main instance file "C:\Everything\Filters.csv" is NOT updated if a change or deletion is made in the sub-instance.
  15. Backup: It is advisable to create a backup for those files for which symlinks have been created.
    This could be e.g. the files "Bookmarks.csv", "Filters.csv", "Macros.csv" from the main instance in C:\Everything\.
Because in the folder C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\ instead of the file "Filters-Instant.csv" with file size of e.g. 13 KB
the symbolic link "Filters-Instant.csv" with a file size of 0 KB is located, the Everything sub-instance "Instant"
automatically uses the settings from the main instance
C:\Everything\Filters.csv.
The filter file does not have to be updated in the sub-instance (or must not be updated - see above: 14. Important note)!
It may be necessary to restart the sub-instance (e.g. if a change was made in the main instance and a sub-instance was open).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ziel:
Automatische Übernahme der Einstellungen zB von Datei Filters.csv (inclusive Änderungen/Löschungen)
von der Everything-Hauptinstanz in Everything Sub-Instanzen.

Erstellen einer symbolischen Verknüpfung für eine DATEI
  1. Rechtsklick auf Desktop > Neu > Verknüpfung > cmd eintippen > Weiter > cmd.exe wird angezeigt > Fertig stellen
  2. Rechtsklick auf Verknüpfung auf Desktop > Eigenschaften > Erweitert... > ✅ Als Administrator ausführen > OK, OK
  3. Umbenennung der Verknüpfung auf "cmd.exe - Admin" (F2, Umbenennung, ENTER)
  4. Doppelklick auf die Verknüpfung "cmd.exe - Admin" (.lnk - C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\cmd.exe - Admin.lnk)
  5. Benutzerkontensteuerung Abfrage (UAC) bestätigen
  6. Admin-DOS Fenster "Administrator: cmd.exe - Admin" wird geöffnet; C:\Windows\System32> wird angezeigt
  7. Hilfe/Parameter zu MKLINK anzeigen: Eingabe von mklink /? und ENTER drücken blendet die Parameter ein
  8. Um eine symbolische Verknüpfung für eine DATEI zu erstellen, sind folgende Parameter erforderlich:

mklink Verknüpfung Ziel
  9. Zunächst ist es jedoch erforderlich im Zielverzeichnis, zB C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\ die vorhandene
    Datei "Filters-Instant.csv" zu LÖSCHEN (denn ansonsten kann die symbolische Verknüpfung nicht angelegt werden).
    Die Löschung der Datei kann zB mit einem Dateimanager oder dem Windows Explorer erledigt werden.
  10. Im Admin-DOS Fenster in das Zielverzeichnis wechseln, zB C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\.
    Das Zielverzeichnis ist jenes Verzeichnis in dem der symbolische Link für eine Datei erstellt werden soll.
    Daher Eingabe von: cd C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\ im DOS-Fenster und ENTER drücken ("cd" = change directory).
    C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT> wird danach in diesem Fenster angezeigt.
  11. Im Admin-DOS Fenster danach zB folgendes eingeben (Dateinamen und Pfad anpassen, dann copy/paste) und ENTER drücken:

mklink Filters-Instant.csv C:\Everything\Filters.csv
    1. "symbolische Verknüpfung erstellt für Filters-Instant.csv <<===>> C:\Everything\Filters.csv" wird angezeigt
    2. Der symbolische Link "C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\Filters-Instant.csv" wurde erzeugt mit einer Dateigröße von 0 KB
      • Total Commander: In der "Größe"-Spalte wird "<LINK>" angezeigt
      • Windows Explorer: In der "Größe"-Spalte wird "0 KB" und als Dateityp ".symlink" angezeigt
  12. Im Admin-DOS Fenster: exit eingeben und ENTER drücken um das Fenster zu schließen
  13. Starte die Sub-Instanz von Everything, zB Everything 1.5.0.1336a (x64) - (Instant)
  14. Wichtiger Hinweis: Änderungen bzw. Ergänzungen müssen bei Verwendung symbolischer Links IMMER in der Hauptinstanz vorgenommen werden! D.h. zB in C:\Everything\Filters.csv!
    Gründe:
    1. Die Hauptinstanz überschreibt ansonsten den symbolischen Link mit einer gleichlautenden neuen Datei und
      setzt somit den symbolischen Link außer Kraft ("zerstört ihn"). Ersichtlich wird das zB anhand der Dateigröße:
      Symbolischer Link: Dateigröße 0 KB - Dateityp: .symlink ... <=> ... neue Datei zB "Filters-Instant.csv": Dateigröße zB 13 KB.
      NotNull » 03.02.2023: "Übrigens: Wenn Sie den symbolischen Link schreibgeschützt machen (indem Sie das Dateiattribut setzen),
      wird das Überschreiben nicht verhindert".
    2. Die Hauptinstanz-Datei "C:\Everything\Filters.csv" wird nicht aktualisiert, sofern eine Änderung oder Löschung
      in der Subinstanz vorgenommen wird.
  15. Backup: Es empfiehlt sich ein Backup für jene Dateien anzulegen für welche Symlinks erstellt wurden.
    Das können zB die Dateien "Bookmarks.csv", "Filters.csv", "Macros.csv" von der Hauptinstanz in C:\Everything\ sein.
Weil sich im Ordner C:\Everything\Everything_INSTANT\ anstatt der Datei "Filters-Instant.csv" mit Dateigröße von zB 13 KB
der symbolische Link "Filters-Instant.csv" mit einer Dateigröße von 0 KB befindet werden von der Everything Sub-Instanz "Instant"
automatisch die Einstellungen von der Hauptinstanz
C:\Everything\Filters.csv verwendet.
Die Filter-Datei muß in der Subinstanz nicht mehr aktualisiert werden (bzw. DARF nicht aktualisiert werden - s.Pkt. 14. Wichtiger Hinweis)!
Gegebenenfalls ist ein Neustart der Sub-Instanz erforderlich (zB wenn eine Änderung in der Hauptinstanz vorgenommen wurde
und eine Sub-Instanz geöffnet war).
Last edited by tuska on Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

tuska wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:21 am Wichtiger Hinweis: Änderungen bzw. Ergänzungen müssen bei Verwendung symbolischer Links immer in der Hauptinstanz vorgenommen werden! D.h. zB in C:\Everything\Filters.csv
(Vielleicht kannst Du noch erklären warum das so sein muss?)

EDIT: Wrong language ...
Maybe add an explanation why his is important?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:02 pm
tuska wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:21 am Wichtiger Hinweis: Änderungen bzw. Ergänzungen müssen bei Verwendung symbolischer Links immer in der Hauptinstanz vorgenommen werden! D.h. zB in C:\Everything\Filters.csv
(Vielleicht kannst Du noch erklären warum das so sein muss?)

EDIT: Wrong language ...
Maybe add an explanation why his is important?
Weil sonst die andere Instanz den Link zerstört und stattdessen eine eigene File anlegt.
Because the other instance will overwrite the created link with a new file replacing the link.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yes, I know.
Suggestion was to add this information to the instructions.

BTW: making the symbolic link read-only (by setting the file attribute) doesn't prevent the overwriting.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2NotNull & horst.epp
Thank you for your important advice!
(I hadn't noticed that until now).

I have made appropriate adjustments from point 14 onwards.
Thank you again!
Biff

Post by Biff »

What an incredible guide! Thank you very much!

Even with small-brain-proof instructions for Germans with small and low brains. I appreciate it very much!

Works perfectly! Many thanks again!
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hi all,

what would be the best automatic method to keep the Filters-1.5a.csv file in sync between multiple computers?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything doesn't have an option to share filters between multiple computers.

One way I would do this is setup a master computer and only modify your filters on that computer.
Have the other computers occasionally pull your filters.csv from the master.

You can manually import filters from Search -> Organize Filters -> Import.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking about the symlink method mentioned above, and putting Filters.csv on OneDrive. Will that work, provided Everything will only run on one of the computers at any given time, or will symlinks to Filters.csv be overwritten on save, thus breaking them?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything only saves your filters.csv to disk when you make a change to your filters.

Everything loads your filters.csv on startup.

The trick will be to only modify your filters on one computer.
You'll need to restart Everything on the other computers to pickup the changes.

You can set the Filters.csv to read-only to prevent Everything from writing to this file.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Okay, thank you. I work three days a week on one computer and the rest of the week on the other. Therefore, filters.csv may be changed on either of the PC's.

I will now set up a manual sync that will sync filters.csv from OneDrive before Everything is started, and after Everything is closed as well.

That should work, right?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, it should work.