Change directories like in a file explorer

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
runmode

Change directories like in a file explorer

Post by runmode »

I like to use Everything like a file explorer, browsing deeper into the folder tree using the explorer shell context menue item 'Search Everything' but within Everything. So the search string would be e.g. "D:\level1\level2\" including the quotation marks. That way I can change directories without leaving Everything, preview file contents and rename files. Quite handy! But calling the context menue for every dirctory change is rather clumsy.

Could you make Alt MouseLeft (Alt Enter) do the same thing (only within the Everything application)? I mean taking the path under the mouse cursor or highlited to the search field, and showing the content of the folder as result. That way a change directory is performed! While as before, a simple Mouse click (or just pressing Enter after selecting) or would open the Folder in Windows Explorer .

Then in a second step we want to go up in the tree. This could be done by Alt-Esc. Or make navigation arrows like in Windows Explorer (left of the bread crumbs path). This could truncate the path by one level, the remaining search string would be e.g. "D:\level1\" including the quotation marks.

Just ideas :)
horst.epp

Re: Change directories like in a file explorer

Post by horst.epp »

Use Everything 1.5
Enable View Folders
runmode

Post by runmode »

The folder tree of v1.5 is not in sync with the search term.
The folder tree ist designed as a filter component but not for navigation.

By the way I just found the topic was raised already in 2021:
viewtopic.php?t=10910

The solution from the earlier thread is good to go with:

- Downwards: Drag'n drop a folder from the result list to the search bar to change to this directory.

- Upwards: Edit the search term (manually erase the path tail right from the last but one "/") to go up the tree. The search term is tolerant for missing closing quotation marks. Just this action could be supported better by the program, perhaps there is a way?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

EFU Browser is a proof of concept how this could be configured.
runmode

Post by runmode »

Thank you for this hint, looks very interesting. I will give it a try later this week.