Non-Indexed Folders

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Non-Indexed Folders

Post by meteorquake »

It would be useful to be able to view adhoc non-indexed folders. I'm not sure if I or someone has suggested this before, someone will remember! Apologies if so.
There seems to be a similar entry in the ToDos - "when a user types in a absolute path that is not indexed, add it to the temp index?, ie user types \\tv\ which is not indexed, so we grab just the folders in \\tv\, that way we could quickly paste something in \\tv\uploads without it being in the index.."
I'm supposing equally there could be a File - Open Folder... menu and tickbox for durability, and corresponding ability to remove the folder if not session-transient. The main thing here is convenience, something fast, obvious and simple without lots of options.
I suppose these would typically be network folders, external memory cards, dvds and external drives or ad-hoc ram drives.
There's currently also the File List Editor which can have folders added for a direct view but lacks the tree view and other paraphernalia and also the theme that's been set up on the main results view.
When you're using Everything for everything, it's convenient not to have to switch to Explorer to do such tasks. The whole idea in using Everything could in fact be said to be never to have to look at Explorer ever again :) :)
D
void
Developer

Re: Non-Indexed Folders

Post by void »

In early 1.5 alpha builds if you typed in an absolute path that wasn't indexed, the path was added to your temporary index and the results shown.

Users expected only indexed information to be searched and resulted in a lot of confusion.
The feature was removed.

It's still on my TODO list.
However, it will require some user intervention.
For example, a info bar:
\\server\share is not indexed -would you like to add it your your index? [Yes] | [No] [x] Include subfolders

For now, you'll need to add your path to Tools -> Options -> Folders

Thank you for the suggestion.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Thanks!
A user popup should be fine.
It may be you can provide an option for those that want to trial the draft feature and give feed back - perhaps similar switches for other features, or just a generalised option could cover all early pioneering work?
David
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

meteorquake wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:48 pm Thanks!
A user popup should be fine.
It may be you can provide an option for those that want to trial the draft feature and give feed back - perhaps similar switches for other features, or just a generalised option could cover all early pioneering work?
David
Without an index, there are many other search tools
that do that, even with using the MFT.
For me, that's one of the major reasons to use Everything.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Yes, I tend to use Agent Ransack. But it's about not needing to switch to another app. I use Everything for most things but have to switch out for some common things, such as creating an empty text file, or using an SD Card.
David