Back & Forward button?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Ghopper

Back & Forward button?

Post by Ghopper »

Everything is one of the best programs ever created. It feels a bit presumptuous to make a suggestion, but since there's a dedicated section here, I guess I will. I often enter a search term, then want go back to the immediately preceeding search term. From my perspective it'd be nice if there were little "back" and "forward" arrows somehere right next to the left margin of the search bar. It takes a comparatively long time to go to the right end of the search bar and select the previous search term from the drop-down list of previous search terms. Thanks for your consideration.
therube

Re: Back & Forward button?

Post by therube »

Alt+Back-arrow / Alt+Fwd-arrow
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

And in Everything 1.5 you can also use 'ALT + scrollwheel'
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

Wow, thanks for that info. I had no idea.

Are there any reasons to refrain from starting to use Everything 1.5 at this point in time?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No, not really. Version 1.5 is better in all regards than 1.4. Most regulars here on the forum use 1.5 as their main version.

The only thing to consider is that every couple of months the database structure gets an update to accommodate yet another new feature. That requires all files/folders to be scanned again. Not a big issue in my book, but you might think otherwise.
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

It's amazing to think that 1.5 is even better than 1.4. Mr. Carpenter is a genius.
Rescanning doesn't seem like a big deal at all.
Do you know if I can use the same .ini file from my 1.4 installation in 1.5 (and preserve all my settings)?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yes, you can use the 1.4 ini for 1.5. Make sure to name it "Everything-1.5a.ini" though, as that is the standard in 1.5
(temporary; to support running version 1.4 and 1.5 side-by-side).

There are a few minor differences. Everything 1.5 is faster than 1.4 so a couple of settings that were optional before (because of impact on performance) are now enabled by default.
There a couple of others (<10), but all subtle changes.
I bet it will take you at least a week to spot them :D
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

That sounds great.
From what you're saying I guess that installing 1.5 won't affect my existing installation and continued use of 1.4?
And after installing 1.5, I can copy my .ini file from 1.4, rename it Everything-1.5a.ini, and replace the file that is named that in 1.5?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5 Alpha will not interfere with your Everything 1.4 installation.
Everything 1.5 Alpha will be installed to C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a and will run in a 1.5a instance.
Import settings from Everything 1.4
Import history, filters and bookmarks from Everything 1.4
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

Fantastic! Thank you
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

I just did this for settings, bookmarks, filters, and search history, and it was very easy.
I really appreciate the clarity of the instructions.
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

I might have done something wrong, but I ended up with apparent duplicates of some filters after importing them from 1.4.
For example, 1.5 shows "Audio" and "Audio 2"; "Document" and "Document 2"; "Executable" and "Executable 2" etc.

It also shows both "Folder" and "Folders."

At least some of the apparent duplicate filters don't encompass the same number of files, though looking at them in the "Edit" pane they seem to have the same settings.

Other filters appear only once.

I deleted all the filters then re-imported them, and got the same duplicates.

1.5 crashed as I was looking at the filters.

I love the subtly different icon for 1.5 that enables it to be easily distinguished from 1.4.
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

The 1.5 sidebar options under View (to show Folders & Filters) is very cool.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Ghopper,

1.5 crashed as I was looking at the filters.
Could you please send your Everything 1.4 filters to support@voidtools.com
Could you please send a mini crash dump

Everything 1.5 does not allow duplicated filters.

Please try clearing your existing filters and then import your 1.4 filters:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Select all filters (Ctrl + A)
  • Click Delete.
  • Click Import....
  • Select your Everything 1.4 Filters.csv and click Open.
  • Click OK.
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I followed those instructions a number of times. Each time, as soon as I selected filter.csv from 1.4 and clicked Open, the list of filters was populated with many duplicates, e.g. Audio/Audio 2, Compressed/Compressed 2, Document/Document 2, Executable/Executable 2. etc.

Also, my 1.4 installation is having problems. 1) It no longer responds to BinaryFortress DisplayFusion window-movement prompts (it's a program for running multiple screens). 2) It no longer has the appearance that it previously did (alternating line colors, etc. - it's now just solid white). 3) It no longer remembers its previous windows location, and now opens a small window in the center of a screen. 4) Once, I could not shut it down, even using Task Manager and Process Hacker.

It seems to have been adversely affected by installing 1.5, as I never had any of these problems before.

Also, when I open a Word file by double-clicking it in either 1.4 or 1.5, the Word file does not respond to DisplayFusion prompts. However, when I choose "Open Path" for that file in 1.4 and 1.5, and then open the same word file from the folder, it does properly respond to DisplayFusion.

Everything 1.4 is listed in Windows 10 control panel uninstall, but 1.5 isn't.
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

- Now DisplayFusion works on Word files opened from 1.5, but not 1.4.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything 1.4 is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
If you are having trouble uninstalling Everything 1.5, please try a Manual Uninstall.