Install only for the Administrator

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
nagan

Install only for the Administrator

Post by nagan »

I believe Everything works only for the administrator , and even while it shows for in the guest users also (as a running process in the process explorer - got to do with the registry entry I think) , it lists only the main drives as objects. Do you intend to make it functional for other users too in line with the general permissions of Windows? If not then it will be ideal if it starts/runs automatically only for the main user , and in case it is started manually in other user a message that it will not be functional.
void
Developer

Re: Install only for the Administrator

Post by void »

Please try installing the Everything service if you are not running as an administrator.

You will need to force a database rebuild in your are using 645b due to a bug.

To force a database rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Click Force rebuild.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Ok , it works. While in the guest , I tried checking off the service , which probably brought up access violations and lots of Everything instances. After calming down , I find the service box is still marked. No issues. But I think this and some technical permissions need to be GREYED out otherwise , it may cause issues.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Hi,
Today I was trying to toggle the everything SERVICE check box from the main user. What does a blue box in the checkbox indicate? Suppose I clear that , I get the message Everything service 1072 cannot be deleted. If I tried to get it ticked , the message is Everything service 1072 cannot be created. Whatever that would mean.

I think service and server start/stop options could be out of bounds for the non-admin user. Also are you proposing a user based profile for each user so that some basic options cannot be unnecessarily changed from one user to another?
void
Developer

Post by void »

What does a blue box in the checkbox indicate?
The blue box means the service state is ''indeterminate''.
It is nether fully installed or fully uninstalled.
If I tried to get it ticked , the message is Everything service 1072 cannot be created. Whatever that would mean.

Code: Select all

ERROR_SERVICE_MARKED_FOR_DELETE 1072
The service is still running and is marked for deletion.

Restarting the Computer will delete the service.

In Everything, if you uninstall the Everything service it is stopped before being deleted.
This will make the deletion occur immediately.

The issue above can occur if the service failed to stop or the service is deleted manually without being stopped.

Please check your errorlog.txt file for errors and Event Viewer (Windows Logs -> System) for any service errors.

Admin privileges will be requested if you try to install/uninstall the service without them.