Opening DOT template files in MSWord from Everything

General discussion related to "Everything".
ChrisGreaves

Opening DOT template files in MSWord from Everything

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am currently running 1.5.0.1350a and can locate ext:doT files with ease.
However: running them causes MSWord2003 to open a new document based on the template.
This has been MSPolicy since I was in kindergarten. And following established standards is agreeable.

However2: I have never liked this standard, so: Is there a way to force my copy of Everything to Run a Word template file by opening the template as a template?

The bulk of my activity is programming in MSWord/VBA rather than in preparing text in documents, so most of the time I want to open a template AS the template and work on the VBA code, rather than opening a new document based ON the template.

I will stress that I agree with "following established standards" as a principle, be the standards ever so bad.
Thanks, Chris
horst.epp

Re: Opening DOT template files in MSWord from Everything

Post by horst.epp »

Sorry, but this is the most useful function in Word.
How often do you edit a template ?
The only way from Everything would be using a command line switch for Word
but I don't see one.
So you have to program it using VBA or what ever.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:02 am Sorry, but this is the most useful function in Word.
but I don't see one.
Horst, you have every right to be sorry.
You have judged my question by your own limited view of the world.

You ask how often I edit a template: I do it seven days a week, week in week out. Since 1997 in VBA and prior to that in Word 6.0 Basic and before that Word 2.0 Basic,
I own and maintain 122 User applications for my own use and 57 Developer applications in Word VBA, and prior to 2012 developed and maintained Word VBA applications for over one hundred clients.

I would estimate my rate of opening over the past twenty-five years at something like twenty events per day. I open templates so often that I have developed an application to open templates. And another application to harvest templates into a humongous (52MB) searchable library.

Can we agree on a figure of 32,578,000 open events? That's for Word VBA templates only, remember.

If twenty opens per day seems high to you, before you react, consider that I maintain several libraries of procedures in Word VBA templates, and their maintenance is vital.

Your other reason for feeling sorry is valid too: You don't see a command line switch for Word, and so, you conclude, that it is not possible for someone to achieve what I am proposing.
Your ignorance is appalling.
What happened in your upbringing that causes you to downplay any question or problem that has not yet appeared in your world?

Based on your response I am forced to a conclusion that Everything.exe is nowhere near as versatile or powerful as its developer and user-base claim it is. What a disappointing day this has turned out to be!

I have been tasked with solving "insoluble problems" since 1967.
Mainly by keeping an open mind.

In your response, based on your knowledge of MSWord, please justify your claim that "this is the most useful function in Word".

Chris
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:22 pm
horst.epp wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:02 am Sorry, but this is the most useful function in Word.
but I don't see one.
Your other reason for feeling sorry is valid too: You don't see a command line switch for Word, and so, you conclude, that it is not possible for someone to achieve what I am proposing.
Your ignorance is appalling.
Chris
Where did I say it's not possible ?
I said you have to use some VBA.

There are some simple technical facts, even for a sophisticated Author like you.
If there is no Word command line switch for the action you want from Everything
David would have to program it in VBA or other Language specially for you.
Or you have to found or write a script which does it and invoke it from Everything.

Btw. your statistics don't impress me at all :)
There may be something wrong with your Word templates if you have to edit so many so often.
Phlashman

Post by Phlashman »

If you want to change the default action when clicking a .dot file go to the following registry key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Template.8\shell

In the right hand pane change the Default value from New to Open, this changes the default action to Open :-)
therube

Post by therube »

Sounds like a plan.

@Chris, did it work?

(BTW: I don't use Word. Don't even have Word [or Excel or...].)