"dm:10s" behaves differently from "dm:0s..10s"

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Temm

"dm:10s" behaves differently from "dm:0s..10s"

Post by Temm »

When using the search "dm:10s" I'd expect to see all files edited within the last 10 seconds, with new files being added as they are edited and removed as 10 seconds pass.

When using the query "dm:10s", this is not the observed behavior. Instead, the file list initially shows all files edited within the last 10 seconds, then continues growing with newly edited files, but does not remove files that where the 10 second window has passed, thus the displayed file count keeps growing.

When using the query "dm:0s..10s", the expected behavior is observed - the file list grows as files are edited, and shrinks as the edits become more than 10 seconds old.

I am running on `everything-alpha 1.5.0.1352a`

Perhaps this behavior is actually expected and I missed it in the docs somewhere, but I did not expect it.

(Also: Why does "dm:<10s" show files edited MORE than 10s ago, and "dm:>10s" shows files edited LESS than 10s ago? That seems inverse to how the > < operators are usually read)
NotNull

Re: "dm:10s" behaves differently from "dm:0s..10s"

Post by NotNull »

This is by design. However, you can change the behaviour using the date_cutoff_now setting:
- Go to menu:Tools > Options > Advanced
- Type cutoff in the Show settings containing: box
- Select date_cutoff_now
- Set its value to true
- OK

date_cutoff_now

EDIT: related thread
void
Developer

Re: "dm:10s" behaves differently from "dm:0s..10s"

Post by void »

dm:10s will find files modified 10 seconds ago from the time of search til the end of time.
New files will be added to your results.

dm:0s..10s will find files modified 0 seconds ago until 10 seconds ago from the time of search.
No new files will be added to your results.

This time range is set at search time and does not change.
Files will not be removed from your results as time moves forward.

Please try the following search for live results:

dm:10s requery:1000

Everything will automatically requery every 1000 milliseconds.

If you want to prevent new files from showing I recommend using:

dm:10s..now