Is there a way to exclude a folder only if I'm searching outside of it?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
damasd

Is there a way to exclude a folder only if I'm searching outside of it?

Post by damasd »

Hello everyone!

So basically this is my issue:

I have a backup disk "B:" which I've excluded from the Results so to not clutter them with double entries and then risk to edit a file on the wrong disk.

The thing is that many times I find myself searching stuff in that Backup disk.

So what I'd like is to be able to exclude the Backup disk for every search I perform anywhere on my PC outside of it as it is now. But then also, whenever I open my B: drive and perform a search in it, i'd like to bypass that exclusion and be able to see what's in it.

Is this somehow possible?

thanks for your help
raccoon

Re: Is there a way to exclude a folder only if I'm searching outside of it?

Post by raccoon »

Everything 1.4 has something called Temporary Exclusions, and 1.5 calls the same feature Result Omissions. Rather than putting your backup drive in the Index Exclusions, you can put them in the Temporary Exclusions / Omissions. The latter can be toggled on/off at will from the menu, and you can assign a keyboard shortcut for convenience.

This feature will physically index the objects, but hide them by default.
damasd

Post by damasd »

raccoon wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:04 am Everything 1.4 has something called Temporary Exclusions, and 1.5 calls the same feature Result Omissions. Rather than putting your backup drive in the Index Exclusions, you can put them in the Temporary Exclusions / Omissions. The latter can be toggled on/off at will from the menu, and you can assign a keyboard shortcut for convenience.

This feature will physically index the objects, but hide them by default.
Thanks for answering.

Could you please tell me where I can find those Temporary esclusions? I cannot find them anywhere
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Sorry, I guess it's only a feature in Everything 1.5. (and it changed names from Temporary Exclusions to Omit Results during 1.5's development)

I recommend trying Everything 1.5, as it has been in continual development for 2+ years with some wicked powerful features. I haven't used Everything 1.4 in as long.
void
Developer

Post by void »

damasd

Post by damasd »

Woww that's exactly what i was looking for and it works like a charm!!!

Thank you both for the help!