JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

General discussion related to "Everything".
sauljhl

Re: JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

Post by sauljhl »

NotNull wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:27 pmI still don't like it, but people are used to it now.

QuickSwitch = Uses opened file manager folders in File dialogs
JumpToFolder = Use the power of Everything in file dialogs and file managers.

So QuickSwitch has nothing to do with Everything.

In the end they will become one application, as the "engine room" of both share a lot of code.
Don't know if it will be in the next version (started working on that a couple of weeks ago), but eventually they will converge.
Awesome, thank you very much; still lots of reading to do, ~3:40am, will pick it up tomorrow, hopefully!
Unrelated but, also heard good things about Listary, any dos/don't in terms of having them both installed simultaneously?
Or perhaps you feel one or the other (not both) is all that's needed...

TY/GN.
NotNull

Re: JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

Post by NotNull »

sauljhl wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:48 pm Unrelated but, also heard good things about Listary, any dos/don't in terms of having them both installed simultaneously?
Or perhaps you feel one or the other (not both) is all that's needed...
You can install - and use - both at the same time. However ..
QuickSwitch has an option to go from file dialog to file manager and back to automatically change the active folder in the file dialog. Listary has the same QuickSwitch functionality (with the same name). Don't think you can use them both at the same time, although I never tested this.

My personal opinion:

As I use Everything for, well, everything, it made more sense to use JumpToFolder and QuickSwitch.
I do like Listary a lot. It makes the workflow very 'organic'. AHK has some limitations (more likely: *I* have some limitations ...), which makes it harder to integrate it in other applications in the way Listary can.
I would start by taking a look at Listary as I expect that it fits the need for more people than QuickSwitch/JumpToFolder does.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

I use both Listary and Quick Switch.
Quick Switch only starts using its hotkey Ctrl-Q.
Listary works in many appiications and dialogs without any complicated configurations.
and I'm very happy with it since a very long time.
Quick switch has the benefit of showing active and inactive sides of the dual pane file managers.

Jump to folders is very helpfull to jump fast to any location in all of my file managers
with the speed of Everything but most of the time I use the Everything toolbar in the taskbar
which has rules to handle the results and in its newest version even shows the full context menu..
sauljhl

Post by sauljhl »

Heh, it's amazing,

You* think you're a sophisticated XYZ, who knows most things in a certain domain, until you find that;

Yet again, there's a vast new network of rabbit holes that are both; exciting & anxiety-inducing.

The latter because of how much time will be burnt, due to said rabbit holes...
As inevitably, even though some of it will be a worthy investment, a major chunk won't be.

And there's a cost to that. Sigh, ah well, this is life.

Tnx folks!

*By "you" I mean me!
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Hey @NotNull, will you still send me that other debug version so we can figure out why automatic file selection isn't working for me?
Or just tell me to be more patient, that's fine too 👀
init000

Post by init000 »

Is it possible start "Jump to Folder ..." via a hotkey instead of via the context menu?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

init000 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:26 am Is it possible start "Jump to Folder ..." via a hotkey instead of via the context menu?
Yes, I do that all the time.
After configuring JumpToFolder you can use any tool which makes a global hotkey
or pin it to the taskbar or use a button in your file manager.

The link to execute is for example in my case
C:\Tools\Everything\JumpToFolder\JumpToFolder.lnk

Alternative you can use the command line to the compiled version including a parameter as follows:
C:\Tools\Everything\JumpToFolder\JumpToFolder.exe -jump
Skodd

Post by Skodd »

This also doesn't seem to support QTTabbar :(.
tanko

Post by tanko »

Came across this thread and would really like to be able to use this, but I keep encountering this error:
"" can not be found.
Check your JumpToFolder settings.
I've added the path to Everything.exe and hit "OK" several times. Also "Apply". But when I go back in to the settings, the filepath is blank again. What might be going on?

Thanks for developing this!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You might have put JumpToFolder in a protected folder, like c:\Windows or "C:\Program Files".
In that case it will not be possible to create and add the settings to the INI file in that same folder.

As a test:
  • Put JumpToFolder.exe on your desktop
  • Start JumpToFolder.exe
  • Enter settings as usual
  • Press the OK button
Do you see a JumpToFolder.ini on the desktop?
Could you post its contents here?

To end the test:
  • Start JumpToFolder.exe (on your desktop)
  • Select Action = Uninstall
  • Press the OK button
tanko

Post by tanko »

That was it, thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

(I've not read anything but the first post.)

If your file manager (Salamander) has multiple windows open, how does JTF determine which (file manager) window will be the one that jump is performed in? Or should it? Or should it Jump in the window that the jump action was initiated from?

(In the case of Salamander, each "window" is actually a new instance [with a different PID].)

(Likewise, I suppose, if your file manager has a tabbed interface, or if your file manager has both multiple instances (windows) & multiple tabs in each.)

---

Oh, & let me tell you.
Allowing for configurable hotkeys in a program is great!
Like I have (Everything) F5, Copy Path, F6, Copy Full Path, F12, Copy Name.
And I have those very same keys set up in AllDup.
It makes it soo convenient.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

therube wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:29 pm (I've not read anything but the first post.)

If your file manager (Salamander) has multiple windows open, how does JTF determine which (file manager) window will be the one that jump is performed in? Or should it? Or should it Jump in the window that the jump action was initiated from?

(In the case of Salamander, each "window" is actually a new instance [with a different PID].)

(Likewise, I suppose, if your file manager has a tabbed interface, or if your file manager has both multiple instances (windows) & multiple tabs in each.)
Its very simple.
If all file managers are minimized noting happens if you invoke JTF and select some results.
If tabs are used there is always one active tab in the active window.
On mutiple instances or windows there is always only one active (on top).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:29 pm (I've not read anything but the first post.)
You lazy bastard! :D
That is exactly what happens: when J2F starts, it "inspects" its environment. PID, current active pane, etc.
That way it knows where to put the path it gets from Everything.

Allowing for configurable hotkeys in a program is great!
Is this related?
therube

Post by therube »

That is exactly what happens: when J2F starts, it "inspects" its environment. PID, current active pane, etc.
That way it knows where to put the path it gets from Everything.
Then maybe it's not working correct, in Salamander (4.0 x64) [Everything x86, JTF x64]?

I have 2 Salamander windows open, PID 54976 & PID 59676 (that threw me for a loop, for a moment).
Initiate JTF from 54976 & it opens in the other?

Closed 59676
Open new, 55672
& this time, it jumped as expected in expected tab in 59676.

Not sure why it didn't do that initially?
(I'll see how it goes.)
Is this related?
Nope :-).
Though having keys available might be one reason why I never looked at JTF before?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Just checked the code: J2F can't address a specific window (because the window componentsare not properly named) and falls back to running slamander with command-line options. And those apperently got picked up by the "wrong" Salamander.

A fixed keyboard shortcut would not work as over all filemanagers combined there would probably not be a "free" shortcut. Let alone a halfway practical one.
Luckily, in most file managers you can define your own keyboard shortcuts to start about anything. Don't know about Salamander by by heart.
Janeer

Post by Janeer »

I just wanted to share my experience with JumpToFolder and QuickSwitch. I've been using both of them for a while now, and they have greatly improved my workflow. JumpToFolder allows me to use the power of Everything in file dialogs and file managers. It's amazing how quickly I can jump to any location using the speed of Everything's search capabilities. It saves me a lot of time when navigating through my files. QuickSwitch, on the other hand, is a fantastic useful tool for using opened file manager folders in file dialogs. It's so convenient to switch between the file manager and the file dialog without losing the active folder. It has become an essential part of my file management routine. Ultimately, whether you choose to install both Listary and QuickSwitch/JumpToFolder depends on your specific needs and preferences. I would recommend trying them out individually and seeing which one suits you best.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

2Janeer
If you like JumpToFolder you should try the Everything toolbar.
It removes the need for opening a full Everything window to enter your searches.
You click its icon, enter your search term in the pop-up and click or enter in the results on the desired folder.
Your configured default file manager opens the folder
or you can select other tools or file managers from a freely defined context menu.
It also has regex rules to define actions depending on the file type of a result.
Opening a viewer for PDFs for example.
https://github.com/srwi/EverythingToolbar/releases
mgkai

Post by mgkai »

Now... if there is a file item in an Everything result window, and I want to view it in its drive location,
I click on the folder path shown in Everything results next to that file item
and the parent folder of that item is opened in a fresh Windows Explorer window,
and it is even being scrolled (if necessary in crowded folders) and highlighted so that the said file item is nicely visible right away.

So that useful feast, is that possible with Windows Explorer only or also with multicommander.com ? TNX
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I did write a version that supports Multi Commander too.
Send me a PM and I will dig it up and send it to you.