Bulk operations not allowed on mobile devices.

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
raccoon

Bulk operations not allowed on mobile devices.

Post by raccoon »

When indexing a mobile device (via Indexes -> Folders -> Computer\Galaxy A13\SD card\) you cannot interact with these files in many bulk operations.

For example, if I select a single file and hit Delete, it will ask me to confirm and then it will delete the file. Ok.
If I select multiple files from the same folder and hit Delete, it will also delete those files (but they're not removed from the index).
If I select multiple files from multiple folders and hit Delete, it will raise the following error message:
File Operation Error: 80004002
If I select multiple files to Advanced Move, it will raise the following error message (after much deliberation):
File Operation Error: 00000002
(This Advanced Move operation had the task of moving and renaming multiple files from multiple folders, into one new folder that Everything would have to create.)

I haven't tried much else yet.

Win 7 Pro 64
void
Developer

Re: Bulk operations not allowed on mobile devices.

Post by void »

Everything relies heavily on the shell to perform file operations with virtual items.

Error 80004002 is: No such interface supported.

IFileOperation doesn't support virtual items on Windows 7.
You will need Windows 10+

File Operation Error: 00000002 is: Path not found.

Please try performing the file operation again after rescanning the virtual folder index from the Index menu -> Rescan -> Select your virtual folder.

I couldn't get this to work on Windows 7, only on Windows 10.
Performing a file operation on results from a Windows Explorer search on Windows 7 also fails with similar errors.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I'm confused though. Why do file operations on single items work fine, but not when multiple items are involved? Does the interface dislike stacking operations from different file paths? It's cherry doing just one item at a time, so I'm wondering if we can automate doing one item at a time... in bulk?
void
Developer

Post by void »

File operations don't work for single items either.

Drag-drop and copy/paste are the only operations that appear to work.

I will look into simulating file operations with drag-drop and rename.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Delete key operations work on any single file, from within Everything. Or multiple files within the same directory.
therube

Post by therube »

Computer\Galaxy A13\SD card\
Does Windows (7) natively see that, or do you have some program running that provides an interface to that?

(To see... something or the other... pretty sure it was with my brothers phone, had to give him a Nirsoft, I believe it was, program to interface with it [& that was on Win10].)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

therube wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:28 pm Does Windows (7) natively see that, or do you have some program running that provides an interface to that?
It shows up in Windows Explorer naively, and can be added to the Everything index from the Folders section. Right-click the Folders listbox and select Add Custom from the context menu. (This should become a button)

Pretty much all Android cellphones work with Windows 7 out of the box, though some phones need you to download a driver first.