Huge Database effect on system performance

General discussion related to "Everything".
jimspoon

Huge Database effect on system performance

Post by jimspoon »

I don't know if anybody out there is as nutty as I am, but Everything shows over 27 million items in my Everything database. Using Process Explorer, Everything64.exe is currently showing Private Bytes 4,120,228K, Working Set 4,092,728K, and CPU now 51.35% I have 24GB RAM installed. The CPU is an i5-3570k from 2013.

I don't think the CPU usage is typical, it may be something going on right after the update to 1348a. Now with that CPU usage it's no surprise that things bog down.

I guess there's lots of different things I can do to reduce the RAM usage (if needed) and the CPU cycles, but I haven't done anything yet to deal with my apps being slow to respond.

Anybody else have a database this big?
void
Developer

Re: Huge Database effect on system performance

Post by void »

Thank you for the issue report jimspoon,
I don't think the CPU usage is typical
Everything should only have minimal CPU usage while running in the background.

Could you please send a mini crash dump when Everything has high CPU usage: Privacy
therube

Re: Huge Database effect on system performance

Post by therube »

What version of Everything did you have before?
Did you change Everything versions (or did Everything update)? [YES}

Are you indexing "Properties" (in 1.5 alpha)?

If so, the .db structure may change, is in flux, so you might have a re-index going on, which may be long & resource intensive.
(Once that finishes, CPU should be negligible.)

27M & assuming you're indexing at least some Properties, I'd think your 4GB of RAM is in line?

---

The CPU is an i5-3570k from 2013
That's what I have at home, though it looks like I didn't upgrade to that till around 2017.