Discussion on GSD's feature suggestions

General discussion related to "Everything".
GSD

Discussion on GSD's feature suggestions

Post by GSD »

@NotNull
I would very much appreciate your input on these two suggestions, if you've got the time:
viewtopic.php?t=13346
viewtopic.php?t=13347

I believe those two combined would facilitate your rewriting this script greatly simplified for v1.5 and, perhaps more importantly, would allow running more than one of these indexes at the same time.

I'm writing something akin to this on my own and I was set back by the inability to run more than one "on-the-fly" instance at a time without generating a random instance name and basically doing what amounts to full Everything config setup for each. Doable, but not ideal. Just in case you were wondering how I've arrived to request things that fit your script's needs like a glove :)

Thank you!
Last edited by GSD on Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bins

Re: Index This (version 2023-05-15)

Post by bins »

GSD wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:59 pm I'm writing something akin to this on my own and I was set back by the inability to run more than one "on-the-fly" instance at a time without generating a random instance name and basically doing what amounts to full Everything config setup for each. Doable, but not ideal. Just in case you were wondering how I've arrived to request things that fit your script's needs like a glove :)

Thank you!
I hope you must have done your writing and I am so willing to read it can you please share? :D
GSD

Post by GSD »

bins wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:13 am I hope you must have done your writing and I am so willing to read it can you please share? :D
It's not done and definitely nothing to write home about. Highly specific to my setup and it only uses the "-folders" command line option to achieve what I need, therefore is incompatible with v1.4. What NotNull has done here is way more interesting and covers a lot more ground.
bins

Post by bins »

GSD wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:24 am
bins wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:13 am I hope you must have done your writing and I am so willing to read it can you please share? :Dgb whatsapp
It's not done and definitely nothing to write home about. Highly specific to my setup and it only uses the "-folders" command line option to achieve what I need, therefore is incompatible with v1.4. What NotNull has done here is way more interesting and covers a lot more ground.
@GSD thanks for the reply I am still waiting for it.
NotNull

Re: GSD's Index This

Post by NotNull »

I think that what you (@GSD) try to accomplish should be very well doable with IndexThis as a base.

Some pointres:

- Don't put the ini file in %temp%, but in the IndexThis folder.
- Check if an TEMPINDEX instance already exists. If not: "build" the needed ini-file (=current code). If not: same run commandline with added add-folder / -add-ntfs-volumes command-line option

That way one TEMPINDEX instance can contain multiple folders/drives. But only on Everything 1.5.
(and probably without a need for a -filters-file or -bookmark-file command line option)
GSD

Post by GSD »

NotNull wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:13 pm I think that what you (@GSD) try to accomplish should be very well doable with IndexThis as a base.

Some pointres:

- Don't put the ini file in %temp%, but in the IndexThis folder.
- Check if an TEMPINDEX instance already exists. If not: "build" the needed ini-file (=current code). If not: same run commandline with added add-folder / -add-ntfs-volumes command-line option

That way one TEMPINDEX instance can contain multiple folders/drives. But only on Everything 1.5.
(and probably without a need for a -filters-file or -bookmark-file command line option)
Yes, this is 100% doable with some powershell, but i feel that the revised "-add-filters"/"-add-bookmarks"(rather than "-filters-file"/"-bookmark-file"), plus the "-ro" read-only option, could be good additions and may facilitate other use cases.

That beeing said, I like your suggestion, but if I'm going to do the powershell dance, might as well do it all the way and not mix folders in the same DB. The way I have it architected in my head is, using a dedicated "TEMPINDEX" folder containing a symlink to everything64.exe:
- delete all files in "TEMPINDEX", except said symlink
- generate random short string $string
- copy appropriate Everyhting.ini, Filters.csv etc. to TEMPINDEX\Everyhting-$string.ini, Filters-$string.csv etc.
- run TEMPINDEX\Everyhting64.exe -no-db -instance "$string" -folders ...

So it's not that I can't achieve my end result, it's that I think temporary, read-only instances templated from existing configs would be a much more elegant solution, and I'm sure smarter people would find better uses for them :)

Thank you for taking a look!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

GSD wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:41 pm copy appropriate Everyhting.ini
Don't forget to overwrite the existing NTFS, ReFS, Folder, Fiulelistç Content, Properties etc related settings before starting the instance.
Otherwise you get a 1:1 copy of the existing Everything, including lots of stuff you don't want (and also takes more time because of the extra unneeded indexing that has to be done).

Other than that: Go for it!
GSD

Post by GSD »

NotNull wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:11 pm
GSD wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:41 pm copy appropriate Everyhting.ini
Don't forget to overwrite the existing NTFS, ReFS, Folder, Fiulelistç Content, Properties etc related settings before starting the instance.
Otherwise you get a 1:1 copy of the existing Everything, including lots of stuff you don't want (and also takes more time because of the extra unneeded indexing that has to be done).

Other than that: Go for it!
Ah, forgot to mention: will be using an Everyhting.ini file that has no indexing settings whatsoever and is only meant as a template, so that's not a concern.

Also, I have to say this because I see some people have misunderstood(and the title you've given this new thred may mislead them further): I am not writing anythign that's meant to or can be shared. Just a scipt integrating with some third party tools that's highly specific to my setup. I am in no way shape or form proposing an alternative to your "Index This" script, which is on a wholly different level.

Thank you for you time @NotNull.

P.S.
I'm still holding out hope, though, that void will find my suggestions interesting and doable and all the above will become Null(pun intended).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

GSD wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 pm Also, I have to say this because I see some people have misunderstood(and the title you've given this new thred may mislead them further):
Thanks for clarifying!
When you edit the opening post (click the pencil button), you still can change the title to anything you like.
GSD

Post by GSD »

NotNull wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 pm Thanks for clarifying!
When you edit the opening post (click the pencil button), you still can change the title to anything you like.
Done. Thank you!