partial match of search result

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
hkshnls

partial match of search result

Post by hkshnls »

Good day to the forum,

I am facing the following question / problem:

I am looking for an object with the number 123-45678-025 (copied from another program / list). Is there any possibility that after inserting the above number, all "partial matches" are shown, such as 123-45678 or 123 ?

The solution to this problem normally would be the wildcard and the function "ignore punctucation", but in this particular case I don't know exactly where to put the wildcard, because I don't know exactly how the folder or the file in the drive is labeled.

The only variable I have is the complete number 123-45678-025, which I would like to copy-paste into everything 1.5a and then have all the "partial matches" displayed without the wildcard.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
horst.epp

Re: partial match of search result

Post by horst.epp »

What about to start with the simple
*123*
If that gives to much add some more from what you see
*123* !excluded_string
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

hkshnls wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:16 pm "ignore punctucation"
So you are using Everything 1.5?

Assuming that with partial (in partial match) you mean that 123 is a part, 45678 is a part and 025 is a part?

There are a couple of ways:
1. Activate a filter. When activated, it will search for files/folders that have at least one of 123, 45678 or 025 in their name
2. Activate a filter. When activated, putting 123-45678-025 on the clipboard, will automatically (without pasting anything) search for the previously mentioned parts.

Let me us know which one fits best in your situation

Be aware that you might get quite a few "nonsense" results: searching for 123 alone gives 600 results here.
Adding a path to search in or a date-range might help in giving more accurate results. Limiting results to files or folders only helps too.

BTW: You posted in the "Off-Topic" forum. Accident or on purpose?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Consider matching whole words with ww:

For example:

ww:123
ww:123-
hkshnls

Post by hkshnls »

good day together,

first of all I would like to thank you very much for the quick help. I have now experimented a bit and the most suitable for everyday use is and remains the possibility to use wildcards *.

The one with the filter is a good one, however, in the everyday business with a lot of effort connected, because also the first three digits constantly change. there are countless variants or articles in the folder, in which I must search...

At the end of the day, I think I wished for an automatic wildcard or something like that. So I enter a search word and I am also shown the partial matches.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything has lots of options and features to get the results you are after.
The better you describe what the search query will be and what results are expected (and what results you don't want to see), the better we can help you.

As a basic example -- which will probably not yet do exactly what you want -- of the power of Everything:
  • Go to Menu:Search > Organize Filters
  • Press the New button
  • Fill in:

Code: Select all

Name = Partial Match Objects
    Search = "C:\your\start folder\"   file:  #replace:"search:","-","-|"
    Macro = obj<search>

( Replace "C:\your\start folder\" with the actual path where your files are located)
  • OK, OK to save the filter
  • Back in Everything's main window, select Menu:Search > Partial Match Objects
  • Type or paste an object name, for example 123-45678-025
  • Check results and report back
  • Menu:Search > Everything to return to the normal Everything Filter.
  • type or paste obj:123-45678-025
    (This is another way to get the same results)