Manual Install

General discussion related to "Everything".
void
Developer

Manual Install

Post by void »

To manually install Everything:
  • In Windows Explorer, navigate to:
    C:\Program Files
  • Create a New Folder (if it doesn't exist) called:
    Everything
    (You might be prompted for admin credentials)
    (You can use any install location you like)
  • Open this new Everything folder.
  • Paste your Everything.exe from the Desktop (Ctrl + V)
    (You might be prompted for admin credentials)
  • Launch Everything.exe in C:\Program Files\Everything
  • When prompted with "Everything" requires administrative privileges:
    • Check Install the "Everything" service.
    • Click OK.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything. (you can leave this off if you copy Everything.exe to a user-writable folder)
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

To manually uninstall Everything:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Uncheck all options on this page.
  • Click OK.
  • In Everything, from the File menu, click Exit.
  • Delete C:\Program Files\Everything
    (or the chosen install location)
  • Delete %APPDATA%\Everything
    (this should resolve to C:\users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Everything)
  • Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
    (this should resolve to C:\users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Everything)

Uninstalling Everything
ChrisGreaves

Manual Install - Documentation suggestions

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:32 am To manually uninstall Everything:
@VOID: Please see also "Manual UNinstall"
ManualUninstall_01.png
ManualUninstall_01.png (38.22 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
(1) Uncheck Everything Service(???) is mentioned twice; was there some other setting that should be checked OFF?
(2) Might "Uncheck all settings except "Store settings" and "Check for Updates" (or paraphrase) be easier to understand and lead to a generalized technique as you add extra General Settings?
ManualUninstall_02.png
ManualUninstall_02.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
(3) Delete C:\Program Files\Everything but " C:\Program Files\Everything" does not exist on every system. Perhaps "Locate end delete the/all folders that contain files of the form Everything*.exe"

I am thinking that for many people, a week or so after they have installed Everything, they may decide to re-install the program with all defaults in place. So many people attempting a Manual UnInstall will be novice users.

I have not yet seen an Automatic Uninstall facility within Everything.

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on Wed May 03, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisGreaves

Re: Manual Install - Documentation suggestions

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:38 pmI have not yet seen an Automatic Uninstall facility within Everything.
.... although when I went through the second method of Uninstall (Control Panel, "Programs and Features") at the point where Everything prompts me to "Uninstall", I noticed a one-second flash along the lines of "Running uninstall script", which made me wonder what we can't
(a) automate the check-boxes to be checked OFF
(b) have access to an Uninstall command (that prompts to create a System restore Point ...), but I can't check to see if there IS a builtin command for that, that now because I don't have everything installed anymore :weep: :sob: :lament:
Cheers, Chris
void
Developer

Re: Manual Install

Post by void »

Thank you for the feedback ChrisGreaves,

I've cleaned my OP up.
I must have really wanted to ensure the service was installed/uninstalled..
(2) Might "Uncheck all settings except "Store settings" and "Check for Updates" (or paraphrase) be easier to understand and lead to a generalized technique as you add extra General Settings?
Generally, yes.
Unchecking all settings is fine.

Delete C:\Program Files\Everything but " C:\Program Files\Everything" does not exist on every system
You don't have to install to C:\Program Files\Everything
Delete the chosen install location.

This might look something like:
C:\Tools\Everything
C:\Everything
D:\Portable Apps\Everything
etc..
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:17 am You don't have to install to C:\Program Files\Everything
I think that my latest install (April 17) went by default to
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe"
but I might have modified that file name since then.
Cheers, Chris
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

@void: Request, can we make installing the Service the default behavior if Everything is installed to any folder in C:\, even if it's a so-called Portable installation? Rather than running it As Administrator? This includes if the user installs it to C:\Everything\ or C:\Tools\Everything, etc.

I feel like the "As Administrator" option should only be offered as default if the install path is not on drive C:\ (even when the inis and exe are in the same folder).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The default is not "Running as administrator", it is "Run indexing process as administrator"

Meaning that GUI and database are running under user credentials and the indexing process is running elevated, with the credentials provided at the User Acoount Control (UAC) prompt.

The indexing process as administrator has the same task as the service has: reading Master File Table and USN Journal on command and passing results back to Everything.
It is the portable version of the Everything Service. It is (obviously) running in a separate process too (but with different credentials).
A really nice solution, if you ask me.

More opinion:

The Run as administrator installation option should be removed/replaced with indexing process as administrator in setup.exe, portable version and MSI file.
And removed from the Options GUI, to be added to the Advanced Options.

Running as administrator causes way more issues and limitations than it solves. The forum is full of them (must be the #1 issue).
void
Developer

Post by void »

@void: Request, can we make installing the Service the default behavior if Everything is installed to any folder in C:\, even if it's a so-called Portable installation? Rather than running it As Administrator? This includes if the user installs it to C:\Everything\ or C:\Tools\Everything, etc.
as NotNull mentions:
Everything should never default to run as administrator.
The default option for the portable version is "Run indexing process as administrator".

The "Run indexing process as administrator" option (aka: "Index as admin") is ideal for the portable version as it doesn't make any changes to the system and allows the UI to run with limited privileges.

More opinion:

The Run as administrator installation option should be removed/replaced with indexing process as administrator in setup.exe, portable version and MSI file.
And removed from the Options GUI, to be added to the Advanced Options.

Running as administrator causes way more issues and limitations than it solves. The forum is full of them (must be the #1 issue).
One of the main reasons was Everything recommended "Run as administrator" as the default option when the Everything Service isn't running.

The installer for the next alpha update will have an "Index as admin" option above the "run as admin" option.
Neither "Index as admin" or "Run as admin" are recommended for the installer as each time you run Everything you will see the UAC prompt.
"Install the Everything Service" will always be the recommended option in the installer.

I will look into removing the "run as admin" option from the General page.
It will likely stay for Everything 1.5.

Thank you for the suggestions.