Visual quick removal of volumes and folders from Search Edit expressions

General discussion related to "Everything".
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Visual quick removal of volumes and folders from Search Edit expressions

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Lets assume a user has volumes C, D and E

So it is possible for user to search on all of the drives by using filtering expression like

Code: Select all

C:\;D:\;E:\ .123
in order to find all 123 files in that file format on all the volumes

But would it be possible to be able to use something like

C:\-;D:\;E:\ .123
to perform the same search everywhere with the exception of volume D? I know that this would work

C:\;E:\ .123
but what if user has 20 volumes and is looking for errors in nomenclature, some left overs and wrongly located backups [true story]? If a user could piece-by-piece add temporarily something like just the minus sign then user could visually see where at what exact point such volume-by-volume "reverted" / subtracting search is

Being able to do this with volumes should not be hard to implement. But the more advance version would also allow for something like

C:\;D:\;E:\;-\Music .123
in order to search [in my imaginary example set-up] everywhere with the exception of folders named Music [if they are on these volumes]

And if this do get implemented and with the usage of minus sign, then maybe also the plus sign should do exactly what semicolon does now [but leaving the semicolon's functionality also]?
NotNull

Re: Visual quick removal of volumes and folders from Search Edit expressions

Post by NotNull »

Visual quick removal of volumes and folders from Search Edit expressions ?

Temporary Omit!
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:17 pm [...]
Temporary Omit!
Its quite inconvenient to omit just one path from many present in Search Edit and then bring it back and deactivate some other for a while. But a minus sign before a letter+colon+slash would make it stand out more; just as a minus+slash combination instead of just slash

So for example instead of

C:\Edits\2013;D:\Edits\2013;E:\Edits\;W:\Edits\2010s;"X:\Edits Raw\2010";Z:\Edits;"C:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New";"E:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New" .123
see and use temporarily

-C:\Edits\2013;D:\Edits\2013;E:\Edits\;W:\Edits\2010s;"X:\Edits Raw\2010";Z:\Edits;"C:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New";"E:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New" .123
and after it see

C:\Edits\2013;-D:\Edits\2013;E:\Edits\;W:\Edits\2010s;"X:\Edits Raw\2010";Z:\Edits;"C:\Edited New";-"D:\Edited New";"E:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New" .123
and then jump two steps / paths to quickly using

C:\Edits\2013;D:\Edits\2013;E:\Edits\;W:\Edits\2010s;-"X:\Edits Raw\2010";Z:\Edits;"C:\Edited New";-"D:\Edited New";"E:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New" .123
[and so on] would be in my opinion a more user friendly. [And please mind that this is still a simple example cooked up by me to demonstrate visual advantages of such ability; the example is made up but scenario itself is nevertheless driven from my experience of using Everything]

And if also my visual aids propositions would become implemented [viewtopic.php?p=55903], then such excluded path would become even more visible:

C:\Edits\2013; -D:\Edits\2013;E:\Edits\;W:\Edits\2010s;"X:\Edits Raw\2010";Z:\Edits;"C:\Edited New";-"D:\Edited New";"E:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New" .123

C:\Edits\2013;D:\Edits\2013;E:\Edits\;W:\Edits\2010s ; -"X:\Edits Raw\2010";Z:\Edits;"C:\Edited New";-"D:\Edited New";"E:\Edited New";"D:\Edited New" .123
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Why not use the NOT operator (!)

!\thisfolder\ excludes all paths with a folder named thisfolder
!\*thisfolder*\ excludes all paths with a folder that has thisfolder in it's name
!C;;E: excludes all on C: and E: drives
Thy Grand Voidinesss

You are telling me to - or are you suggesting to @void to consider using

!
instead of

-
proposed by me?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yes.

Try
!C:
and check the resultlist.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Something as basic as

!M:\
seems to work A-OK, but e.g.

M:\ ; !"M:\Music Out"
also seems to work by showing all items from volume M except from folder Music Out - except it reports in overall only 15 000 files instead of 120 000 and 1 folder instead of 7 000
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The ; in your search query will limit the results to files/folders with a ; in their name. Remove it and you are good.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

So I have to use this

M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
and it works. But If try to expand it to this

C:\ M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
then it shows nothing. But if I write it like this

C:\;M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
then it works, but its hard to read and hence it is easy to make mistake when adding more paths to it. But I can replace it with

C:\|M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
which is doubtfully better in terms of visuals. But, as I presume, the best / clearest / reed-through-able way is to use

C:\ | M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
as >>|<< is an illegal character - thus it is not possible to show up in names of items like >>;<< sign. Right? But then again, after replacing it with

C:\ ; M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
I get nothing

So: I would argue that semicolon should have its separator function disabled - if not by default then at least by choice by a conscious user who has a lot of semicolons in names of items because uses them in personal naming scheme. And even most users do not use semicolons by themselves- they never know where and when they will e.g. download some files with them it their names

And also: this

C:\ | M:\ | !"M:\Music Out"
does no filter anything unless I remove the separator before the operator, i.e. use the already presented above form

C:\ | M:\ !"M:\Music Out"
And so I would also argue that both of these two forms should work - or [to the contrary of current behavior] just the first one
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Don't use spaces around ;. A space in Everything means AND, giving you C:\ AND ; AND T:\
And there are no files that are on T:\ AND on C:\ at the same time. Let alone ones with a ; in their name.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:41 pm Don't use spaces around ;. A space in Everything means AND
[...]
Thus, when trying to maintain clear readability of filtering expressions containing multiple paths it is unwise to use semicolon at all - hence in my opinion
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:00 pm [...]
semicolon should have its separator function disabled
[...]
so that other [new] users from repeating the same journey as mine when trying out what works and what does not
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The main purpose for using the ; is within functions.

Instead of size:1MB | size:2MB, you can use: size:1MB;2MB

That becomes even more useful for long function names, combined with search modifiers, like startwith:alternate-data-stream-name: