Renaming errors need "Ignore" button

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
InfoR3aper

Renaming errors need "Ignore" button

Post by InfoR3aper »

I am testing out the Alpha version right now.

One thing that stands out is when renaming stuff is there is an Error or Collision of any kind then you keep getting an error message window you MUST click Continue every time in order to proceed.

Is there any way to have an Ignore button so it just auto skips the error messages, which means it auto skips the renaming process on the renaming errors?

void
Developer

Re: Renaming errors need "Ignore" button

Post by void »

Hold down Shift and click Continue to continue for all collisions.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Well, that is on more thing a user needs to remember of just for Everything - or does it work [in theory] for all Windows programs?

Either way, an IGNORE FOR ALL button would help all those not-super users and / or people with weak memory for such things
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I think that's something you have to ask Bill Gates.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I cannot. He has stopped returning my phone calls in 1995
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:51 pm I cannot. He has stopped returning my phone calls in 1995
I can understand him ;)
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

void wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:54 pm Hold down Shift and click Continue to continue for all collisions.
Awesome, very easy to remember to do!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:17 pm Well, that is on more thing a user needs to remember ...
... an IGNORE FOR ALL button would help all those not-super users and / or people with weak memory for such things
Agreed on both counts!
Cheers, Chris
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:46 pm
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:17 pm Well, that is on more thing a user needs to remember ...
... an IGNORE FOR ALL button would help all those not-super users and / or people with weak memory for such things
Agreed on both counts!
Cheers, Chris
Come on guys. Void already does a tremendous amount of coding and tweaks to make Everything better!

Plus the sheer amount of time they put into responding to support requests on HOW to do something.

Do we really need him to put this on his "to do list"?.

Not being a jerk here, just saying there are far more important things etc.

Remember every tweak takes Time, something we all have that is Limited!

For me Everything has started to replace several apps now, so remembering things like use Shift key to Ignore All is pretty simple, imho.

Until 1.5 I was using many different apps to do what Everything can do now in a Single app. So in reality I had to "remember" a lot more. Meaning all the "tricks" for the other 3 or 4 apps!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

InfoR3aper wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:47 pmDo we really need him to put this on his "to do list"?
Answer: YES we do!

When I retired I deleted the folder T:\Greaves\Clients. Poof! Just like that. all the sub-folders A-Z and within them specific client folders and within them documents and templates, images, workbooks, databases, PDF proposals going back over 35 years ...
Now I am left with my own applications and projects for one or two friends.

So I decided to see - using Everything of course - how many "To Do" lists I maintain.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (67.83 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
Two hundred and fifty one of them; and that is with NO clients.

If you aren't maintaining a ToDo list for projects, clients etc, then you aren't managing, and that suggests that you aren't controlling your resources (time, energy).
I bet you a cup of coffee down at Walkham's Cafe And Pub that Void has either a "to do list" for Everything, with tags to indicate severity or area of focus - or both - and a fish&chips down at PK's that its not the only "to do list" on his computer right now.
I even have a penciled "to do list" on my back-door, reminding me of the priority of things that must be done outside if spring ever arrives, and a shopping list for groceries, which is maintained in my wallet.

Putting things on Void's ToDo list must have at least two effects:-
(1) It lets Void know that his users appreciate his work to date
(2) It lets Void schedule his time so that he can work in one area and "fix" several multiple facets of that area at the one time.
So in reality I had to "remember" a lot more. Meaning all the "tricks" for the other 3 or 4 apps!
And I think that this was the gist of Thy Grand Voidinesss's post "that is one more thing a user needs to remember".

So you enjoy Everything because it means you have less to remember, too!
That's why we have ToDo lists to bring efficiency into our lives.

And yes, I pasted Thy Grand Voidinesss's name into this response, otherwise I would have to remember his extra i and his excess esses!

Cheers, Chris