Inconsistent focus for hovering pointer

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Inconsistent focus for hovering pointer

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

When a user is hovering over Filter Bar drop-down menu or Search Edit box then Wheel Up / Down get applied to them. But when it is hovering in the main window upon files list, then no scrolling of items occur

And what is more; even after clicking in than window on some file or folder does not "give it" enough focus in order for the Scroll Wheel to apply its movement to them- vertical that is. Because after left clicking inside I can press my Scroll Wheel to its sides and see displayed content being scrolled sideways
NotNull

Re: Inconsistent focus for hovering pointer

Post by NotNull »

Just tested with a fresh Everything (v 1.5.0.1340a) instance:
Scrollwheel above filter bar works as you described.
Scrollwheel above search bar scrolls the result list
Scrollwheel above result list scrolls the result list.

Do you have any AutoHotKey scripts (or similar) running in the background that could cause the different behaviour you are seeing?
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 pm [...]
Do you have any AutoHotKey scripts (or similar) running in the background that could cause the different behaviour you are seeing?
I have closed everything I could - and still I get the same behavior

And I do not have such issues in other programs
void
Developer

Post by void »

When a user is hovering over Filter Bar drop-down menu or Search Edit box then Wheel Up / Down get applied to them.
I am seeing the expected behavior on Windows 11 22621.1194:

Hover cursor over the filter bar, mouse wheel changes the active filter.
Hover cursor over the search box, mouse wheel scrolls the result list.
Hover cursor over the result list or anywhere else, mouse wheel scrolls the result list.
It doesn't matter what control has focus.
The mouse wheel action is sent to the control under the mouse cursor.

But when it is hovering in the main window upon files list, then no scrolling of items occur
There must be a bug in Everything.
How many items are shown in the result list?
Are you running Everything as administrator?
What is your mouse hardware?

Could you please send some verbose debug logs:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, check Start Debug Logging.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, check Verbose.
  • Scroll the result list with the mouse wheel.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop Debug Logging.
    The Everything Debug Log.txt will open in Notepad.
  • Please save this file to the Desktop and send to support@voidtools.com
Privacy
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 am [...]
How many items are shown in the result list?
I suppose all eligible; which can vary from just 1 to almost 2 000 000, depending on the filtering expression being applied or is total lack of

void wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 am Are you running Everything as administrator?
Only the indexing process

But after test-running the whole program with privileges there was no change in behavior

void wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 am What is your mouse hardware?
Logitech Mouse MX Anywhere 2 Business Travel / Logitech Mouse MX Anywhere 2 For Amazon

And although I already had tested approach of
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:06 pm [...]
closing everything I could
[...]
once again [also As Administrator] I have performed such stripping down - but this time also with closing down of forgotten back then presence in my Windows 10 of Logitech background programs, without which side buttons do not work. But still I got he same ill behavior

As for the
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:06 pm [...]
And I do not have such issues in other programs
bit - I do have one issue, which was narrowed down to [most likely] my hardware itself or its drivers being he culprit: Winamp 5.666 does not register holding down of Middle Button when I run an AHK script, despite being able to work A-OK when I change in it to usage of e.g. Left Button [https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewt ... 4&t=113037]

And to precise the behavior: it is kind of chaotic also

It seems that scrolling of past searches only is possible when the are newly added or re-picked from the unfolded list in case of old ones. And when I click in the main window but go back to Filer box then when I move scroll wheel the scrolling somehow goes through a list of not just filtering expressions but of combinations of filtering entries from the Filter Bar plus of a filtering expressions [i.e. it goes through history of recent pairs]

void wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 am Could you please send some verbose debug logs:
[...]
I just did

It includes me experiencing also this chaotic behavior I mentioned just above
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the logs.

Looks like something is spamming the Everything search box with numpad keys (numbers 0-9)?
The search is changed to 5, 6, 57, etc... several times a second.

Could you please resend the logs with verbose logging enabled:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, check Verbose.
The verbose logs will include mouse and keyboard events received by Everything.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I have sent you new log file over half an hour ago few minutes ago

As for the numbers:
- keys from 1 to 0 I use both in Mp3tag and FreeCommander in combination with CTRL - but not those on numpad but the ordinary ones
- I had closed Mp3tag and FreeCommander before starting recording of the log
- I double checked if there was something else which I could close
- those 5, 6, 57 I think were just filtering expressions - so this this time I only used 11, 22, 33, 44 and 55 as tests values o filernig expressions
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the verbose logs.

Does this issue persist with Everything 1.5.0.1341a?
listview message 0000020a 00000000ff880000 0000000001b104f9
combobox 014e 000000000000001f 0000000000000000
EDIT message 000000c2 0000000000000001 0000000000cfeaa8
From the logs, it looks like the mousewheel is sent to the result list, but Everything ends up sending this to the filterbar which changes the search.

Everything 1.5.0.1341a should process the mouse wheel event correctly now, so the filter and search is not changed.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I am still unable to use Mouse Wheel for scrolling up and down list of items in the main window, even if I click in it to transfer focus to it

And also I have experienced few times a comeback of this viewtopic.php?p=55122#p55122 when using it sideways; although it only changes the visual appearance of the horizontal scroll bar [i.e. without blocking its ability to function] and its looks fixed whenever I release sideway pressure exerted on the Mouse Wheel. I think this glitch occurs when I quickly go back and forth between left and right pressure and / or when hold it down for a longer time - preceded by [trying to use] up and down function of it. But as most of the times I do not get to experience this aesthetic annoyance it might have nothing to do with the issue from this topic

And also also: is it a normal behavior if when I scroll through past filtering expressions in the Search Edit box, to have them applied with also the Filter with which there were previously applied? I mean: I want to choose a Filter and then go through history of filtering expressions - but instead of this I am automatically thus inadvertently feed feed with combos of the "Filter & expression"
void
Developer

Post by void »

I see you have mouse_wheel_action set to 4, ctrl_mouse_wheel_action set to 2 and alt_mouse_wheel_action set to 10.

These settings would explain the inability to scroll the main window.
Action 4 will select a previous search.

Please try restoring mouse_wheel_action to the default value: 5 (scroll view):
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /mouse_wheel_action=
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, mouse_wheel_action=5 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
I'll add an option to select a previous search when using the mouse wheel on the search box.
For now, please consider using ctrl_shift_mouse_wheel_action=4 (or another mouse wheel key variant with the action set to 4) to select a previous search.

is it a normal behavior if when I scroll through past filtering expressions in the Search Edit box, to have them applied with also the Filter with which there were previously applied?
Yes, selecting a previous search will restore the previously applied filter.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 am I see you have
[...]
Was it me who must have had set-up this willingly or was this maybe somehow applied automatically without my consent?

void wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 am [...]
/mouse_wheel_action=
[...]
This worked - finally I can now scroll up and down with Mouse Wheel list in the main window

So thank you very much

void wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 am I'll add an option to select a previous search when using the mouse wheel on the search box.
So for now it is the correct behavior that I am nable to scroll up and down in Search Edit box?

void wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 amFor now, please consider using ctrl_shift_mouse_wheel_action=4 (or another mouse wheel key variant with the action set to 4) to select a previous search.
I think I will wait out

But if I wanted to- how would I do this?

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:26 am [...]
is it a normal behavior if when I scroll through past filtering expressions in the Search Edit box, to have them applied with also the Filter with which there were previously applied? I mean: I want to choose a Filter and then go through history of filtering expressions - but instead of this I am automatically thus inadvertently feed feed with combos of the "Filter & expression"
void wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 am Yes, selecting a previous search will restore the previously applied filter.
I would argue that it should be a matter of choice, just how exactly this should work

Or even better: there should be a movable icon visible, which would switch between two modes of operating. And users should also be able to choose if such button should be visible at all [because some will prefer the current behavior to be applied always while others always the opposite; with me preferring to be able to choose between them with a single click]
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Also there is this issue: viewtopic.php?t=13110

But I do not know if it is a real glitch that I experience or just a case of inconsistent behavior
void
Developer

Post by void »

So for now it is the correct behavior I cannot scroll up and down in Search Edit box?
Yes.

But if I wanted to- how would I do this?
Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
/ctrl_shift_mouse_wheel_action=4
Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
If successful, ctrl_shift_mouse_wheel_action=4 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.

ctrl_shift_mouse_wheel_action

Alt + mousewheel should go back/forward through your history.

To restore the default Alt + mousewheel action
Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
/alt_mouse_wheel_action=4
Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
If successful, alt_mouse_wheel_action=4 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.

alt_mouse_wheel_action
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:13 am
So for now it is the correct behavior I cannot scroll up and down in Search Edit box?
Yes.
Will this be changed somewhere in the future?

void wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:13 am Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
[...]
I have adjusted my additional scrolling methods

However when trying to come up with the optimal setup for me I was faced with not sufficient number of combinations - thus I made a new request: viewtopic.php?t=13221
void
Developer

Post by void »

Will this be changed somewhere in the future?
It's unlikely this will change.