Hey so whwn can we expect the new alpha release?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
anmac1789

Hey so whwn can we expect the new alpha release?

Post by anmac1789 »

Hey so whwn can we expect the new alpha release ? And alao its been so long since 1.5 alpha is there any plan to make it beta or have a stable release ?
raccoon

Re: Hey so whwn can we expect the new alpha release?

Post by raccoon »

Releases come when they come, there is no roadmap. Statistically speaking, there is a new Alpha release about twice a month. The Alpha will become a Beta when it does, but not sooner than that.

It shouldn't matter to anyone whether it's an Alpha, Beta, Gamma or Delta release, as long as you enjoy the software and it works well enough for you. Just keep it up to date. Tell your employer or IT guys that it's just a name and any stability issues that have ever presented have only impacted user experience of the software and nothing else on the systems it's installed on. As always, you'll just have to judge and trust that a piece of software is safe enough or more safe than the alternatives. So far Voidtools has a much better track record than Microsoft in that regard.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

raccoon wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:43 am... So far Voidtools has a much better track record than Microsoft in that regard.
:lol: times a million.
Since at least WinXP, Windows explorer a.k.a. File explorer to distinguish itself from Windows internet explorer which browser has been withdrawn, has not been able to remember my preferences for display of files.

I am a "data" guy, so my preference is "View, details" until further notice; my eyes/brain can process that data.
But Explorer has a weird habit of seeing that amidst 00s of DOCuments there is a single MP3 file and including Type, Album, Compose, Bit rate (I'm making this up, but a slurry of audio-related headers at any rate) for each DOCument in the result list.
And yes, with each release of Windows (XP, 7, 10, 11) and with each re-installation on each laptop since around 2003, I have scoured the web, followed instructions, and still Windows can't remember my preferences for All Folders.

On that count alone, Everything wins hands down.
Cheers, Chris
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

ur right i understand
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:03 am [...]
I am a "data" guy, so my preference is "View, details" until further notice; my eyes/brain can process that data.
But Explorer has a weird habit of
[...]
making
[...]
result list
[...]
with each release of Windows
[...]
I have somewhat the opposite bone to pick with Microsoft

My Windows 10 imposes maniacally Details as view instead of preferred by me List. And as I relay on taking images of my OS and then restoring them before making permanent changes to it, I often end up having to once again adjust appearance of some frequently used sub-folder - because info about that change was not included in last image version of my OS

And there is no global setting for the whole [Windows] Explorer

Is not there some place in the Registry where that info is stored? Cannot list of view settings of [adjusted in my case] folders be exported?
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

This information is not in the registry. It is in desktop.ini in that folder.
Fore example:

Code: Select all

[ViewState]
Mode=
Vid=
FolderType=Pictures
ChrisGreaves

Re: Hey so when can we expect the new alpha release?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:18 pm This information is not in the registry. It is in desktop.ini in that folder.
Brilliant (quite possibly, We shall see ...")
I spent a few minutes as a user and then as an administrator deleting every desktop.INI I could find with Everything, and a quick test of Windows Explorer made things look good.
A test of Windows Explorer search function shows that Explorer still has a mind of its own. :-
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Explorer Search ignores my global folder settings and insists on displaying only one-third the data available, by using three lines of my screen to issue what would be one line of data (which turns my $1,000 HP15 laptop into a $3,000 slug) :mad: :angry: :ticked-off like a Canadian Moose:
Cheers, Chris
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If only there was some search utility that puts results on one line each and performs really well, making a $100 PC feel like a $1000 PC ... ;)

:ticked-off like a Canadian Moose:
There just hàd to be a story behind this weird combination of words. And sure enough:
47,000 Ticks on a Moose, and That’s Just Average. Blame Climate Change.

(I am getting quite familiar with Canadian life thanks to your posts :D )
ChrisGreaves

Re: Hey so when can we expect the new alpha release?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:24 pm If only there was some search utility that puts results on one line each and performs really well, making a $100 PC feel like a $1000 PC ... ;)
Hi NonNull; I agree with you. I have been looking for such a utility for years, still haven't found one yet, though.
There is a package called "Everything", and I had high hopes for it, but I can't say that it makes my $1,000 laptop run like a $10,000 machine because, to date, its value has been proven inestimable. :D :)
(I am getting quite familiar with Canadian life thanks to your posts :D )
I do apologize. Would you like me to move back to Western Australia?
Cheers, Chris
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Will let you know when I get bored with these sidestories ...
(don't start packing yet)
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:38 pm [...]
there is no global setting for the whole [Windows] Explorer

Is not there some place in the Registry where that info is stored? Cannot list of view settings of [adjusted in my case] folders be exported?
NotNull wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:18 pm This information is not in the registry. It is in desktop.ini in that folder.
Fore example:

Code: Select all

[ViewState]
Mode=
Vid=
FolderType=Pictures
Apparently all I ever get is the above, e.g.
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=D:\ICONS\folders - Portables.ico,0
[ViewState]
Mode=
Vid=
FolderType=Generic

in file

C:\Portables\desktop.ini

before and after I have changed in Windows Explorer its view mode from Details to List

And even if I could copy and paste some template desktop.ini file, I would need to do so for every single folder already existing and then do this also constantly in the future- so that I would have a unified view of items in every location when using Windows Explorer

What level of idiocracy is Microsoft aiming for with this? In probably every other file manager user is able to have it [more or less] free choices being remembered in regards to how items should be shown
Thy Grand Voidinesss

So: does anyone know if there is some quick and easy way to apply the ordinary List view to all current and future folders when they are visited in Windows Explorer?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:39 pm So: does anyone know if there is some quick and easy way to apply the ordinary List view to all current and future folders when they are visited in Windows Explorer?
Take a normal folder and set its view as you like.
Then Options / View and hit the button "Apply to folders"
This will save it for all folders of this type.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

This used to work for me if I am not mistaken up to Windows 7 - but this time [i.e. having switched a long time ago to Windows 10] this apparently starts to work for me only when performed 2 times, as the first global applying does not work for me

Thank you very much

And I hope this will not revert to Details