Most stable version?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
terrypin

Most stable version?

Post by terrypin »

I'm getting frequent sudden crashes in 1.5.0.1341. No obvious pattern. For example I think the last one was after a successful search for
*house.jpg
I merely added d:\ making it
*house.jpg d:\
and it crashed. By 'crashed' I mean its icon disappeared from my Win 10 tray (so no longer able to run it), yet Task Mgr>Details still shows an Everythingh64.exe (elevated) entry. My usual approach (several times a day now) is to delete that then load it again, which takes a long time as i have six drives indexed.

So I'm looking for a link to whatever the consensus regards as the current most robust version please?
Last edited by terrypin on Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Most stable version?

Post by void »

Please try Everything 1.5.0.1343 or later.

Please try forcing a database rebuild:
  • Exit Everything.
  • Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
  • Restart Everything.

There's normally two Everything processes.
One for the search client and one for the Everything Service.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Many thanks for the fast reply.

From its window title, I've installed Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1343a (x64), which I assume Is the one you recommend, and it's just finished scanning my 5.5 MB files. Task Mgr shows two entries: one owned by SYSTEM, which is elevated, the other by me, which is not. Should I now proceed with your first suggestion, even though the database has presumably just been freshly built, namely:
Exit Everything.
Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
Restart Everything.

(I have done nothing else so far: no searches, no change to the default settings.)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

In the absence of a follow-up I went ahead and rebuilt the db anyway.

It is still crashing, and now does so consitently. I search for
*house*.jpg
and (after the db has once more tediously rebuilt itself after the previous crash) I get 694 hits.

I then add a qualifier to search for only a single drive

*house*.jpg c:

But it then immediately crashes.
therube

Post by therube »

Send a Mini Crash Dump.

Have any picture "handlers" installed on your end?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

"Please make sure the crash dialog is shown and leave it open."

I do not get any 'crash dialog'. I described the behaviour in my earlier posts. As soon as I type the additional 'c:' the program vanishes, and so does its tray icon.

What do you mean by 'picture handlers'? I have several programs that view and edit images, but I don't think you can mean those?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

It seems to be something to do with my tray icon. Using that causes the issue. But I just ran it instead directly from
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe.

I'll investigate further in the morning.

BTW, are there any alternative icons? That might prove handy if there's any ambiguity about which version I'm running. But the usual 'Change Icon' route shows only one. Guess I could make my own, but...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

terrypin wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:05 pm BTW, are there any alternative icons?
Everything Icon Pack (includes instructions)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Excellent, thanks NotNull, I’ll get into that tomorrow.

void: Is there any reason why the various icons apparently available cannot be simply placed in the appropriate installation folder, so that the familiar Change Icon procedure will display them, instead of the single one at present?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sounds like a bad icon shell extension.

Please try disabling icon handler shell extensions:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /icon_shell_extensions=0
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, icon_shell_extensions=0 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.

If this helps, please try ShellExView to locate and disable the problem icon shell extension.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks, but I'm technically out of my depth here. Even after studying a couple of hits from googling what is an 'icon shell extension'?.

Following your instructions, icon_shell_extensions=0 was shown in the status bar for a few seconds. IOW what you have called 'successful'. What does that mean in english? Simply that some facility called 'icon_shell_extensions' has now been disabled? If so, how does removing that functionality help? Note that I'm an experienced end user but not a programmer - at least not for decades since BASIC/FORTRAN/ASSEMBLER /etc.

Anyway, I'm unclear about your latest reply. I assume it's not continuing the discussion about my crashing problem, but is addressing the relatively trivial side issue of how to change the orange icon? Directly after doing the above I repeated my test;
1. By clicking its icon in my taskbar (not the 'tray' on the right) I ran "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe"
2. I typed house*.jpg and got 694 hits
3. I then added a space followed by c:
This had previously consistently 'crashed' the program, as soon as the colon was typed. But this time it worked!No crash (giving me 26 hits).

--------------------

Returning to the topic of icons, can you (anyone) please clarify the distinction between the two that I now have:
- One on the left, in what I regard as the Taskbar which I added by pinning it there, and which brings up Everything with a single left click.
- An identical icon on the right, in what I regard as the System Tray, which displays an identical Everything window after a double left click.

I ran shexview.exe but haven't a clue how it helps. There are no references to Everything, presumably because of the steps you advised above? Its 47 rows (15 with MS entries hidden) and no fewer than 24 columns mean a screenshot would be impractical, but what procedure did you have in mind to "locate and disable the problem icon shell extension" please?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The crash is most likely caused by a third party shell extension that is used to render icons.

Disabling icon shell extensions in Everything will avoid rendering icons based on filename.

Typically there is no icon shell extension for jpg files.
Have you installed a program to show the thumbnail as an icon?

If you search for:
house*.jpg c:
Right click the files shown in the result list and click Open Path, you will likely find Windows Explorer has the same issue and will crash.

ShellExView can be used to list the third party icon shell extensions you have installed.
You can quickly toggle each one on/off.

It will be a matter of trial and error which icon shell extension is causing the problem.

To find the problem one:
  • Re-enable icon shell extensions in Everything:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /icon_shell_extensions=1
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, icon_shell_extensions=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • In ShellExView, disable all icon shell extension.
  • For each icon shell extension listed in ShellExView:
    • Re-enable the icon shell extension in ShellExView.
    • In Everything, search for:
      house*.jpg c:
    • Press F5.
    • If Everything crashes, you've found the offending icon shell extension.
Please let us know what you find.
If you have any troubles with the above, please let us know.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I'm still working through all 47 entries in ShellExView but meanwhile here are a few points so far:

With all MS entries hidden, disabling none of the other 15 removed the problem. So I'm now started on the MS entries. One point emerged that puzzles me but may be of relevance for you. After typing the 'c' in 'house*.jpg c', the crash (AWOL by the Everything window and the rightmost of its two identical orange icons in the taskbar) happened almost immediately. But by accident I noted that on one occasion it crashed after several seconds. So I then waitied much longer before assuming it was OK, and so far the maximum time before the crash was a surprisingly long 15 seconds.

(Probably unrelated, but on occasions I've had the following behaviour: right-clicking one of the hits takes up to 30 s or so before opening its menu, with 'not responding' meanwhile in the title areea.)

I'll report back when all 32 MS entries have been tested. (BTW, the option 'Mark Suspicious ShellExtensions' shows none.)

--------------------
Fri 21 Apr 2023 1138 UK BST
Finished sooner than I expected. The problem remains undiagnosed. I did not proceed with 12 of the 32 MS entries because of a warning by ShellExView that disabling could result in the system being unbootable. They were all those with file names shell32.dll. Here's the list:

Copy as Path Menu
Encryption Context Menu
Include In Library Sub Context Menu
Library Folder Context Menu
Microsoft SendTo Service
New Menu Handler
Open Containing Folder Menu
Open With Context Menu Handler
OpenSearch Result Context Menu
ShellFolderfor CD Burning
Start Menu Pin
Taskband Pin

After disabling the rest (20 other MS entries and 15 non-MS entries), Everything still crashed.