Focus stuck in search box after using CTRL+ENTER ("Open the path of the selected item")

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
GeorgeCostanza

Focus stuck in search box after using CTRL+ENTER ("Open the path of the selected item")

Post by GeorgeCostanza »

After using CTRL+ENTER on a search result, the path of the selected result opens in Windows (10) Explorer

If I then press the "Show window hotkey" to bring the Everything window back to the forefront, the focus is "stuck" in the search bar

By "stuck" I mean I can't press the Down arrow, the Enter key or the Tab key to move the focus to the search results

It remains "stuck" in the search box for a few seconds before I can use the keyboard to move the focus to the search results

It should be noted I can still use my mouse to select search results

Everything version: Version 1.4.1.1022 (x64)
void
Developer

Re: Focus stuck in search box after using CTRL+ENTER ("Open the path of the selected item")

Post by void »

Thank you for the issue report GeorgeCostanza,

I haven't been able to produce the issue here.
Sounds like Everything is not receiving focus.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and is not running as administrator:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

If the issue persists, please try enabling set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input=1
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input

Please let me know if the issue persists.
GeorgeCostanza

Re: Focus stuck in search box after using CTRL+ENTER ("Open the path of the selected item")

Post by GeorgeCostanza »

void wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:53 am Thank you for the issue report GeorgeCostanza,

I haven't been able to produce the issue here.
Sounds like Everything is not receiving focus.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and is not running as administrator:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

If the issue persists, please try enabling set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input=1
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input

Please let me know if the issue persists.
That did not work but thanks for the suggestion. Is it possible there's some kind of log functionality I could trigger and submit?

I'm using the portable version so I think I'll just back the folder up, upgrade to the latest beta and report back.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

GeorgeCostanza

Post by GeorgeCostanza »

I figured out the issue

I use QTTabBar ver 2048 beta 2 in conjunction with Everything

when you enable "Capture Windows" in QTTabBar it causes the behavior I described in my initial post

I guess this thread can be closed, thanks