Force a certain group to calculate MD5

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
sk2107

Force a certain group to calculate MD5

Post by sk2107 »

Hello,

Is there a way to Force a certain group to calculate MD5 and put the value in column1.

Because due to the large list I have, calculating MD5 takes sometime. So my question is that if I filter suppose *.txt files and I want to calculate the MD5 value separately and add as column1 regardless if the properties calculations has reached these files or not.

Regards
therube

Re: Force a certain group to calculate MD5

Post by therube »

(Aside from what you've asked...)

You can add a column that is not indexed, & if you keep that column "out of focus", it will not load until it is brought into focus.

So if you arrange your window/columns such that the MD5 column does not (normally) display, then those values won't be computed (until the column in brought into focus).

That's a "lazy load" & works very well (for me).

So if MD5 is "off to the right" & "out of view", & you Tab over to the right, such that the MD5 column is then brought into view, hash values would be calculated for any files that are currently view-able in your Everything window. Likewise, you can scroll up/down to calculate more hashes if needed. And presumably you've already filtered results such that only the file names you're wanting show up, so only those hashes are actually computed.
sk2107

Re: Force a certain group to calculate MD5

Post by sk2107 »

Yes I know that, but it seems that if the indexing property was not completed it will keep the process as it is (I mean that the indexing will continue regardless what is on the list and according to properties setting until the indexing is completed). I already have tested this theory and that's why I came up with this question in order to override the on going process without interrupting it.

Regards