Is Everything 1.5 Alpha safe to use?

General discussion related to "Everything".
Xtruth

Is Everything 1.5 Alpha safe to use?

Post by Xtruth »

I really need the dark mode program "everything" , but it is still an alpha version and I am fear that it may have a bug in terms of security, that is, it may forget something while searching, or corrupt a file, or other risky things.
Do you think it is safe? Can I use it safely?
It still has the label of alpha, which is considered more dangerous than beta
harryray2

Re: Is Everything 1.5 Alpha safe to use?

Post by harryray2 »

Short answer is an unequivocal YES.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Xtruth wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:57 pm I really need the dark mode program "everything" , but it is still an alpha version and I am fear that it may have a bug in terms of security, that is, it may forget something while searching, or corrupt a file, or other risky things.
Hello Xtruth
Define "safe". Also "really". Quantitatively (using one or more of the four measurements Numeric, Date-time, Spatial(geographic) and Boolean.

Yours is a valid question, but without knowing any background, it will be impossible for anyone to answer your question properly with the answer you require: either "yes" or "no".

For example, if your manager or client says that they will fire you if you do not have dark mode programming running by the end of the day, I'd reply "yes, safe" and urge you to essay with dark mode. After all, if you don't essay you will be fired; but if you do essay with dark mode, it may work, in which case you can keep your job.

I have no idea what dark mode programming is (although I understand programming deeply), but there may be an option for you to risk your career (grin!) on 1.5a while you try out the dark mode programming and then, assuming it works, breathe a deep sigh of relief and fall back to a "safer" 1.4 version.

The developer Void states that he is on a bug-fixing rampage. Any machine as exhaustive as Everything can be assumed to have bugs if only because it has been written by a human. Someone asks for an option, and Void writes the code for every possible option in that area, but most of those options won't be used, perhaps for years. Fior that reason there may be hidden bugs that take a while to surface.

You might like to write down each one of your fears - and they are valid, and post that list in this thread for responses. Each fear can then be addressed rationally and quantitatively.
You mentioned "forget something while searching" and "corrupt a file"
For example "corrupting a file"; I suspect that Everything opens all user files in a read-only mode", so they should be incorruptible.
If twenty users reply "i have never had a user file corrupted by Everything" and no one comes up with an instance where a user file was corrupted, then you have a numeric measure of probability that one of your user files might become corrupted.

You do make nightly backups of all your data, don't you? That is, your job depends on your data (grin!)

I say "write down a list" because a business maxim states "If it ain't written down, it don't exist", and there is no value in fearing something that doesn't exist. Another business maxim is "Management Measures", with the inevitable corollary that if you aren't measuring, then you are not managing. And if you aren't managing, then your project is out of control!

FWIW I have been using Everything casually for the past ten years or so, and deeply exhaustively for the past two months. No complaints.

Cheers, Chris
Xtruth

Post by Xtruth »

harryray2 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 am Short answer is an unequivocal YES.
Thank you, this is great
Xtruth

Post by Xtruth »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:49 am
Xtruth wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:57 pm I really need the dark mode program "everything" , but it is still an alpha version and I am fear that it may have a bug in terms of security, that is, it may forget something while searching, or corrupt a file, or other risky things.
Hello Xtruth
Define "safe". Also "really". Quantitatively (using one or more of the four measurements Numeric, Date-time, Spatial(geographic) and Boolean.

Yours is a valid question, but without knowing any background, it will be impossible for anyone to answer your question properly with the answer you require: either "yes" or "no".

For example, if your manager or client says that they will fire you if you do not have dark mode programming running by the end of the day, I'd reply "yes, safe" and urge you to essay with dark mode. After all, if you don't essay you will be fired; but if you do essay with dark mode, it may work, in which case you can keep your job.

I have no idea what dark mode programming is (although I understand programming deeply), but there may be an option for you to risk your career (grin!) on 1.5a while you try out the dark mode programming and then, assuming it works, breathe a deep sigh of relief and fall back to a "safer" 1.4 version.

The developer Void states that he is on a bug-fixing rampage. Any machine as exhaustive as Everything can be assumed to have bugs if only because it has been written by a human. Someone asks for an option, and Void writes the code for every possible option in that area, but most of those options won't be used, perhaps for years. Fior that reason there may be hidden bugs that take a while to surface.

You might like to write down each one of your fears - and they are valid, and post that list in this thread for responses. Each fear can then be addressed rationally and quantitatively.
You mentioned "forget something while searching" and "corrupt a file"
For example "corrupting a file"; I suspect that Everything opens all user files in a read-only mode", so they should be incorruptible.
If twenty users reply "i have never had a user file corrupted by Everything" and no one comes up with an instance where a user file was corrupted, then you have a numeric measure of probability that one of your user files might become corrupted.

You do make nightly backups of all your data, don't you? That is, your job depends on your data (grin!)

I say "write down a list" because a business maxim states "If it ain't written down, it don't exist", and there is no value in fearing something that doesn't exist. Another business maxim is "Management Measures", with the inevitable corollary that if you aren't measuring, then you are not managing. And if you aren't managing, then your project is out of control!

FWIW I have been using Everything casually for the past ten years or so, and deeply exhaustively for the past two months. No complaints.

Cheers, Chris
Thanks Chris, that was great
A friend in another forum said:

"It is more stable than the final release of many paid software. It's about how good the developer is."

I want to make sure that
1) My files do not get damaged or it doesn't accidentally mess up the order inside the hard disk
2) It does not forget a file when searching due to a bug
3) There are no performance or hardware problems because it is alpha

The only thing I do with the everything program is a simple search for different terms and opening the file from there
https://i.postimg.cc/fTnjpgrc/screenshot-30.png
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Xtruth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:47 am "It is more stable than the final release of many paid software. It's about how good the developer is."
I am starting an underground movement to make Void head of software at Microsoft. That way we would have an operating system that works well and consistently.
I want to make sure that
1) My files do not get damaged or it doesn't accidentally mess up the order inside the hard disk
Hello XTruth.
Let's address these three constraints.
To the best of my knowledge, Everything operates in read-only mode on your volumes excepting that it will create and update its own stored working data as it operates.
Thus an interesting thought struck me: Can Everything detect its own working files, or are those always excluded from any search?
Providing that Everything is operating in read-only mode, then logically files of data can not get damaged or the structure get messed up.
It is always true that an errant bug in, say, Windows, might corrupt a volume while Everything is running, and while one might then be able to say "My volume was damaged while Everything was running" or even "If I hadn't started that Everything run, then my volume would not be damaged", forensic tests would determine that it was a bug in Windows (or some other application) that was the root cause of the damage.

An analogy would be that while you were a passenger on a bus, you witnessed a collision on the street. I would not say that your presence on public transit was in any way a cause of that collision.
A similar argument applies here.
If something external to Everything effects a strange file name, then Everything may not find that file of data, but the cause will be the origin of the strange file name.
As an example, about twice a year I manage to create a file such as "Myfile.doc.doc" or "Unitled.png.jpg". I am human.
We could argue that "MSoft Word should know better", and that "MSPaint should know better", and while that is always true, the true cause will be seen to be my mis-handling of the File, saveAs operation. Everything ought not to be at fault for not being able to locate "Unitled.png.jpg".
(although Everything can be made to ferret out such anomalies :clapping:).
Indeed, I would venture that Everything is so good, that the absence of a file in your expected results would help you to locate and correct such errors in naming! Another positive aspect about Everything.
Such performance or hardware problems that you detect will probably be centred on your dis-belief that Everything can be so fast, especially when compared with other file-searching products. Initially I thought that Everything was lying in its results; how could it be so sure in less than a second? And this was on an old desktop with much slower drives than we have today.

I cannot guarantee that Everything will never fail (in terms of corruption or performance or ...), but I would bet money on Everything being the best product on the market in terms of the three points you made. How much money? Come visit sunny Bonavista and I'll account for your food and lodging during your stay here. A free holiday (except you pay for travel). What a deal!

Perhaps an alternate way for you to assure yourself would be to use the advanced search option in these forums and track down messages that discus "corrupt" and "perform" and "damage" and the like. As well you can search for "bug", because bugs do exist (and are usually fixed within 24 hours), but see if you can find a bug of the type that would cause you concern.

Finally, I do encourage you to try the steps suggested in the previous reply. Not to make yourself an expert on Indexes, but to assure yourself that Everything really is working the way it should. That will boost your confidence in the product.

Cheers, Chris
Xtruth

Post by Xtruth »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:50 pm
Xtruth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:47 am "It is more stable than the final release of many paid software. It's about how good the developer is."
I am starting an underground movement to make Void head of software at Microsoft. That way we would have an operating system that works well and consistently.
I want to make sure that
Hello XTruth.
Let's address these three constraints.
To the best of my knowledge, Everything operates in read-only mode on your volumes excepting that it will create and update its own stored working data as it operates.
Thus an interesting thought struck me: Can Everything detect its own working files, or are those always excluded from any search?
Providing that Everything is operating in read-only mode, then logically files of data can not get damaged or the structure get messed up.
It is always true that an errant bug in, say, Windows, might corrupt a volume while Everything is running, and while one might then be able to say "My volume was damaged while Everything was running" or even "If I hadn't started that Everything run, then my volume would not be damaged", forensic tests would determine that it was a bug in Windows (or some other application) that was the root cause of the damage.

An analogy would be that while you were a passenger on a bus, you witnessed a collision on the street. I would not say that your presence on public transit was in any way a cause of that collision.
A similar argument applies here.
If something external to Everything effects a strange file name, then Everything may not find that file of data, but the cause will be the origin of the strange file name.
As an example, about twice a year I manage to create a file such as "Myfile.doc.doc" or "Unitled.png.jpg". I am human.
We could argue that "MSoft Word should know better", and that "MSPaint should know better", and while that is always true, the true cause will be seen to be my mis-handling of the File, saveAs operation. Everything ought not to be at fault for not being able to locate "Unitled.png.jpg".
(although Everything can be made to ferret out such anomalies :clapping:).
Indeed, I would venture that Everything is so good, that the absence of a file in your expected results would help you to locate and correct such errors in naming! Another positive aspect about Everything.
Such performance or hardware problems that you detect will probably be centred on your dis-belief that Everything can be so fast, especially when compared with other file-searching products. Initially I thought that Everything was lying in its results; how could it be so sure in less than a second? And this was on an old desktop with much slower drives than we have today.

I cannot guarantee that Everything will never fail (in terms of corruption or performance or ...), but I would bet money on Everything being the best product on the market in terms of the three points you made. How much money? Come visit sunny Bonavista and I'll account for your food and lodging during your stay here. A free holiday (except you pay for travel). What a deal!

Perhaps an alternate way for you to assure yourself would be to use the advanced search option in these forums and track down messages that discus "corrupt" and "perform" and "damage" and the like. As well you can search for "bug", because bugs do exist (and are usually fixed within 24 hours), but see if you can find a bug of the type that would cause you concern.

Finally, I do encourage you to try the steps suggested in the previous reply. Not to make yourself an expert on Indexes, but to assure yourself that Everything really is working the way it should. That will boost your confidence in the product.

Cheers, Chris
Thank you so much Chris, you are great and your explanation was great
Let me just say one thing: I am not talking about the Stable version of everything, I trust it completely
I am talking about the 1.5 alpha version (as I wrote in the title of the post), were you talking about it too?
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Xtruth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:26 pm I am talking about the 1.5 alpha version (as I wrote in the title of the post), were you talking about it too?
Yes.
Absolutely.
I have used both versions.
Cheers, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Xtruth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:26 pm I am talking about the 1.5 alpha version (as I wrote in the title of the post), were you talking about it too?
Hello Xtruth. I am now wading through a backlog of topics/posts from February 21st onwards.
In this topic it might appear that Everything 1.5a was not finding a file which I knew existed (because I wrote the document!).
In this post I acknowledge that I think the failure was not in Everything as much as in the wood-framed steam-powered system I was using!

I post this note to let you know that over the past two months, every time that "I can't get Everything to work", the fault has been at my end. Either a flaky Win7 system, or I have misunderstood the Wiki definitions, or I have introduced a space (interpreted as "AND" by Everything, or some other ignorance on my part.
Every time that I "can't get Everything to work", Everything has been working fine; only operator error (me!) caused the failure.
Have Confidence!
Cheers, Chris
Xtruth

Post by Xtruth »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:45 pm
Hello Xtruth. I am now wading through a backlog of topics/posts from February 21st onwards.
In this topic it might appear that Everything 1.5a was not finding a file which I knew existed (because I wrote the document!).
In this post I acknowledge that I think the failure was not in Everything as much as in the wood-framed steam-powered system I was using!

I post this note to let you know that over the past two months, every time that "I can't get Everything to work", the fault has been at my end. Either a flaky Win7 system, or I have misunderstood the Wiki definitions, or I have introduced a space (interpreted as "AND" by Everything, or some other ignorance on my part.
Every time that I "can't get Everything to work", Everything has been working fine; only operator error (me!) caused the failure.
Have Confidence!
Cheers, Chris
Thanks Chris for posting these two posts
I read both now
Today I installed version 1.5 and I am very satisfied with it, it has many great features
Thank you very much, you helped a lot
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Xtruth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:42 pm Thank you very much, you helped a lot
Don't blame me! :lol:
Thank everyone who has helped me so far, yourself included.
Cheers, Chris