"Alternate Data Stream Names" empty

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
flubber

"Alternate Data Stream Names" empty

Post by flubber »

Hi!

Prepare a file:

Code: Select all

>echo streamdata >D:\test\ADS\ADS_test.txt:streamname
This is what Sysinternals streams64.exe shows:

Code: Select all

>streams64.exe d:\test\ADS\ADS_test.txt
d:\test\ADS\ADS_test.txt:
      :streamname:$DATA 13
And here's a screen shot of Everything 1.5.0.1338:

ET_1338.jpg
ET_1338.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

It's my understanding that "streamname" should be shown under "Alternate Data Stream Names". I remember I've seen something under this column lately.

Am I missing something?

Thank's for reading, flubber
void
Developer

Re: "Alternate Data Stream Names" empty

Post by void »

Hit F5 in Everything to fresh this property.
Does the new ADS name show up?

Everything doesn't monitor changes to this property.
Everything does monitor changes to alternate data streams.
flubber

Post by flubber »

void wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:07 am Hit F5 in Everything to fresh this property.
Nope this doesn't help. But possibly I've found the culprit:

ET_1338.jpg
ET_1338.jpg (192.3 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

"ADS_test.xmp" just is a copy of "ADS_test.txt".

Thank's for reading, flubber
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

That is one "oddity" about Everything's property system. If you explicitly add a property to Indexes -> Properties setting, for mandatory indexing, then those setting's inclusions/exclusions will prevent all other automatic (on demand) property requests from going through. Everything will prohibit un-included files from ever having that property read, even if your intent was to make sure certain files are always indexed at a minimum. It's really at a maximum.

Example: You want to make sure that all your *.mp3 music have their Length (runtime) indexed at all times. If you don't also set it up for *.wav and *.flac audio, and also *.mp4 and *.avi and *.mkv video files, then those files will NEVER EVER have their Length metadata read, ever again, never ever not no how. There's no way to specify intent of exclusivity.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have put on my TODO list to gather unindexed properties on demand.

Thank you for the suggestion.
flubber

Post by flubber »

Hmm, there's more. I'm still trying ADS and find it confusing. E.g.: The filter "!adsnames:' will show all files w/o ADS. After adding ADS to all found files most of them will immediately vanish from the list in Everything but a few remain, though "Alternate Data Stream Names" is one of the indexed properties for all found files.

Is there a rule when and why Everything will recognize changes to the ADS and update it's DB?

All files are stored on a network share and accessed via UNC. The server is running an Everything Server, the host showing the faulty list is using a "Network index". (I've tried "Network Drives" and "Folders" too with similar results.)

Thanks for Reading, flubber

[EDIT]
Got it! Because of restrictions in my digital asset management program I'm forced to leave the files "data time modified" untouched. But updating the ADS and immediately restoring the original dates in a loop was much to fast for Everything to catch all changes.
I've changed my routine to run two loops for updating the ADS and restoring the dates. While the overall performance is pretty much the same, the times between changing the ADS and restoring the dates for a single file is now long enough for Everything to notice the changes.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is there a rule when and why Everything will recognize changes to the ADS and update it's DB?
Everything will update when a USN Journal entry is created.

A USN Journal entry is created when:
You open a file handle and make the first change.
The file handle is closed.

Everything will pickup the first change immediately.
Additional changes are not picked up until the file handle is closed.

It's possible something is holding a handle open to these files.