Can Everything pull this off?

General discussion related to "Everything".
GollyGee321

Can Everything pull this off?

Post by GollyGee321 »

Hi... I hope this isn't some obvious built in feature or function and I've missed it by being TOO hyperfocused... But I've searched this up and down the www, 10 ways to Tuesday... to no avail...

I need to be able to simply perform a simple Match (part of filename) and highlight those matches out of ALL THE FILES in the Current Results of everything... but don't isolate and view only the files which match... no, just like Firefox and others, when you hit Alt-F to find a matching string in a webpage, and you can select HIGHLIGHT ALL... this is the EXACT procedure I'd like to perform with Everything... I know I can export a filelist and import into notepad++ or any other editor... and pull it off... but I'd love to skip all that and just be able to SELECT all highlighted files and take it from there... BTW, I'm NOT searching CONTENTS or PROPERTIES.. simply filenames...

If you want the real life scenario, I'll provide...

I use a couple different download managers, to d/l all kinds of files from all over the net, mostly audio and/or archives of music samples etc... but in the midst of trying to manage those, I often get duplicate files... and they aren't all neatly in one location or group... But they do have unique properties, i.e. FILENAME_2.zip or duplicate file_3.rar...

So, my "secondary search" will be for the "_" & the extra digit "2" or "3" usually...

*_2.* <<<< want this to be highlighted but NOT isolated

WHY??...
Well, here's the reason I can't just do a normal search, isolating those files and grab and delete...
Since its fairly often that a first attempt to download fails, and/or I'll miss it and re-download by mistake, sometimes there aren't 2 or 3 duplicate files... so the filename_2.zip, would be the ONLY good file existing... and if I use the catch-all-delete-all method, well, there go all those files...

Hope this makes sense...

I can't find any utility, or script or code to do this from within Windows file explorer or otherwise, including Everything 1.4 or 1.5... add-on or stand-alone...

ANY help appreciated (and then some)
void
Developer

Re: Can Everything pull this off?

Post by void »

Please try the findbar in Everything 1.5:
  • In Everything 1.5, Press Ctrl + F to show the findbar.
  • Search for: _2.
  • Check Highlight All.
GollyGee321

Post by GollyGee321 »

WOW! Just aMaZiNg! Exactly as I'd imagined it! THANK YOU for the awesome and continued upgrades to this wonderful software, Sir Dave!
While I'm here, I wasn't able to get auto update notifications from 1.5 back when you added this feature, nor when I manually checked thru the UI. Matter of fact, I just checked for updates (1336a) and was notified "Everything is up to date"... So is this something that's a known issue? Sorry if it is!

One other item, not to be a nag... but is there a specific drop down so that I can customize the colors of the highlighted results from using the findbar? I think I've tried every single item in that list, and can't seem to nail that one.

Much Appreciated and Have a Great Week!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback GollyGee321,

I haven't pushed out update notifications for the latest 1.5 build yet.
(due to minor stability issues)

Once these are fixed I'll push out an update notification.

If you do have any trouble with 1336a+ please let me know.

To customize the findbar highlighting color, please see:
Findbar - Colors