Drag-out-and-drop filename-part

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Drag-out-and-drop filename-part

Post by meteorquake »

Something for the conceptual ideas list!
*** First comment looks at a different solution ***

When you click into a file to rename, you highlight some text and release the mouse, you then have a part of the name highlighted.
* It would be very useful if you could drag that highlighted text out from the filename and drop it somewhere just like any other text drag and drop, but obviously it would be performing a copy and not alter the file name.

Typically I'd myself be wanting to drag and drop into the search bar replacing what's there (perhaps the default to replace or shift to replace rather than append); I'd probably use such a thing myself many times a day, as all my images are prefixed by a TS e.g. 2019-05-04-10-56-32.... and I'd, say, drag the 2019-05-04-10 part onto the searchbar and it would therefore change the selection to the ones in that folder taken at the same time as the file I dragged it from. I'm sure there would be other use scenarios when finding similar documents, that's just my own particular one; a person might drag a person's name out from within a filename onto the search bar and find other documents to do with them.
Technically there are lengthier ways of doing it, though I find when I am in "mouse working mode" such a facility turns out to be particularly natural and convenient. The idea is on the off-chance it's a fairly trivial thing; I know sometimes there can be constraints on actual operations that can be easily performed.
Cheers, David
Last edited by meteorquake on Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meteorquake

Re: Drag-out-and-drop filename-part

Post by meteorquake »

Actually some other ways to do this particular task come to mind, for example a right-click VBS script.
Or, better than VBS, I wonder if there's a way that will take the actively selected file and perform a search, e.g. can a bookmark be made that says,
"Show me all the files in the same folder as the file selected in the results, whose modified TS is within 30 mins either side of its TS"?
(Failing that maybe Ctrl-Shift-C and a bookmark that references the clipboard to do that... but it would be nice if a bookmark could directly reference a highlighted item)
I can see parts of how to do that but not fully and I'm quite beginning to warm to the idea of doing it this way...
David
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

How about right-clicking the selected text > Copy
And in the searchbar: right-click > paste?

(to my best of knowledge, this is a standard Windows control and changing behaviour would not h=be trivial. But I might be wrong here ...
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Mostly because I tend to drag-drop rather than right-click-cut-paste, as more natural.
But I'm thinking the bookmark idea using clipboard may work well as I can have a separate window open and it will pick up the clipboard.
I'm just not sure how to do it properly!
d
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That deserves it's own topic. I think it is possible.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I have so far
dm:>[get-date-modified:clipboard:] parent:get-property:<clipboard:,path>

but I want dm to be +- 30 mins rather than greater than...

d
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try:

Code: Select all

dm:>[eval:[get-date-modified:clipboard:]-18000000000] dm:<[eval:[get-date-modified:clipboard:]+18000000000] parent:get-property:<clipboard:,path>
30 minutes is 18000000000 in 100-nanoseconds / FILETIME.

I will consider an option to drag the rename / search edit text.
Thank you for the suggestion.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Thanks - that solution works very nicely for that particular one, and some learning too!
Now I just have two windows open, the second with that (bookmarked) formula, and do Ctrl-C Alt-Tab whenever I want to view the bunch around the active photo that are in its folder, and can Alt-Tab back again :)
David