Install Everything-1.5.0.1337a.x64-Setup.exe

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Install Everything-1.5.0.1337a.x64-Setup.exe

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Win7: I have installed with Everything-1.5.0.1337a.x64-Setup.exe pretending that I am a new user.
I chose every default.
Install_10.png
Install_10.png (37.11 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
In Tools, Options, General I note that the "Run as Administrator" check box is set as indeterminate.

My understanding that as user I should NOT run as administrator, - but that the Everything Service runs in the background as Administrator.
Is this why the Tools, Options, General setting appears as it does?
That is, while Chris Greaves is not running as administrator, the stealthy process of keeping Everything's indexes and databases up to date is pursuing its goals relentlessly?

Meanwhile in (Win7) Task Manager I see:-
Applications: Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.13337a (x64) (Administrator) Running
Processes: Everything64.exe
Services: Everything (1.5a)
I imagine that the third entry [[ Services: Everything (1.5a) ]] is the Everything Services which is supposed to be running continuously in the background, since when I (as a user) exit Everything, The entries for Processes and Services remain showing their "Everything" entries. That is, only the Applications entry is resumed.

If I have got this right, then Everyhing has installed correctly, and there is nothing amiss with my "Run as Administrator" and "Everything Services" settings.
Is that correct?

I am not suggesting that Everything did not install correctly; rather I am trying to confirm my understanding of what I have read over the past six? months.

Thanks, Chris
horst.epp

Re: Install Everything-1.5.0.1337a.x64-Setup.exe

Post by horst.epp »

Run as Administrator should not be checked.
I prefer to install only the service and not indexing as Administrator.
Also run on system startup should be set.
This setting works fine here since years accross all versions.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:12 pm Run as Administrator should not be checked.
I prefer to install only the service and not indexing as Administrator.
Also run on system startup should be set.
This setting works fine here since years across all versions.
Hello Horst. In the screenshot of my Tools, Options, General, you can see that "Run as Administrator" is not checked ON. Nor is it checked OFF. It is set as "indeterminate".
I do have "run on system startup " set. Or more correctly, the setting was set correctly as part of the installation process for 1.5alpha.

I am not suggesting that the setup was in error; I was seeking confirmation of my interpretation OF the installation settings.
I hope that helps.
Thanks, Chris
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I think it may be that you ran the installer as admin, or the shortcut being created for All Users is running Everything with elevated privs, where as a user shortcut should not, or for some reason your Windows Explorer is running as admin.

I have seen this happen to installs, before (in 1.4) as well, but I don't know that anyone has fully figured out when or why it happens.

Delete and recreate your Start menu shortcuts, or make sure they're not running Everything 'As Adminstrator', try toggling the Run As Administrator setting on then off again, hitting Apply each time, and do the same with your Run on System Start setting. Restart your system.

Did any of that fix it?
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

raccoon wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:07 pmDelete and recreate your Start menu shortcuts, or make sure they're not running Everything 'As Adminstrator', try toggling the Run As Administrator setting on then off again, hitting Apply each time, and do the same with your Run on System Start setting. Restart your system.
Well! That was a lot of fun! :lol:

I exited Everything, used RevoUninstaller to purge the system, deleted the lone shortcut on my desktop, unpinned a shortcut from the Taskbar, rebooted, then reran this morning's download of Everything-1.5.0.1337a.x64-Setup.exe.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (23.19 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
I used defaults throughout. The welcoming screen (above) shows Administrator OFF
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (55.77 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
I load Everything by the new shortcut on the desktop, and Tools, Options, General shows Administrator is Indeterminate.
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (29.69 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
I checked Administrator OFF and received this confirmation screen. I chose the default YES
Untitled4.png
Untitled4.png (37.05 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
And here we are again!

There may be some weird setting that RevoUninstaller or Everything itself has missed, and nothing but a fresh installation of Windows would fix that.
That said, there must be some reason for that "Indeterminate" setting being set that way.

Would debug files help?
Untitled5.png
Untitled5.png (331.85 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
FWIW the newly installed Desktop shortcut appears to be NOT requesting Run as Administrator.

Very strange!
Thanks, Chris
froggie

Post by froggie »

Is your Windows user account set to Admin (instead of standard user) - that might cause this.
Last edited by froggie on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

My Windows 7 user account is set to Administrator. It still requires a UAC prompt before elevating processes.
froggie

Post by froggie »

Sorry, my reply was incomplete. You are, of course, correct @raccoon.

Lets try again:

If your Windows user account is set to Admin (instead of standard user) and the UAC for your account is set to "never notify" then Everything will install with a square check and will run as administrator. I just ran a quick test on Windows 7 to verify that this is true.

To fix, set UAC to any other setting or change to a standard user.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

froggie wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 pm @raccoon @froggie
If your Windows user account is set to Admin (instead of standard user) and the UAC for your account is set to "never notify" then Everything will install with a square check and will run as administrator. I just ran a quick test on Windows 7 to verify that this is true.
If I understand this setting of "Administrator Privileges", from Everything's point of view it is not so much about Everything, but about the general risk of Windows users when running as Administrator. That is, whether or not "Administrator" is checked ON, Everything will continue to run as planned.

If this is so, then the "Administrator" setting decision lies in the Windows system, and is of little practical concern to Everything.

In my case I have set myself, the only user on this laptop, with Administrator privileges, mainly because I do go through phases of testing 3rd party applications and find the nagging from UAC annoying.
I accept that in doing that I am running a risk, but feel that I understand that risk. Ninety percent of the software I install is recommended by my peers in other technical conferences; it has been used for years by others or is approved by solid organizations.

I'm not looking for a debate on UAC here, but testing my understanding of Everything's "Administrator" setting.

Does "Administrator" have any effect on the way Everything gets its job done?

Thanks, Chris
froggie

Post by froggie »

Possibly. There are many threads on this forum where Everything does not display certain types of files, properties or content because it is running as administrator (Network shares was a recent example). But since you are running as admin all the time, some or all of these may not affect you.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:34 am Does "Administrator" have any effect on the way Everything gets its job done?
Short answer is Yes. There are a number of functionality in Everything which do not work as expected when Everything is run As Administrator. Strange behaviors when interacting with shell extensions and ifilters (like Adobe PDF reader) which fail to work when Everything is elevated. This may not be an issue if ALL processes on your system are elevated, but I don't think this has ever been tested.

We do know for certain that a lot of external processes balk when Everything tries performing various interactions while elevated, and so something might not work as expected or raise an access error. It's such a prominent issue that we put [Administrator] in the Everything window title to help detect and troubleshoot people's problems.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

by froggie » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:54 am Possibly. There are many threads on this forum where Everything does not display certain types of files, properties or content because it is running as administrator (Network shares was a recent example). But since you are running as admin all the time, some or all of these may not affect you.
raccoon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:27 pm Short answer is Yes. ... We do know for certain that a lot of external processes balk when Everything tries performing various interactions while elevated, and so something might not work as expected or raise an access error. It's such a prominent issue that we put [Administrator] in the Everything window title to help detect and troubleshoot people's problems.
I am convinced. Once I have submitted this response I shall log out as Chris072(Administrator) and then log on again, as Chris072 (Standard).
Thanks to both of you.
Chris
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (36.12 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Later: I am no longer an Administrator:-
Untitled2 (2).png
Untitled2 (2).png (36.8 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Nice. Good to know that fixes it!