1.5.0.1335a Cancelling indexing makes the index unusable

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
SeanBannister

1.5.0.1335a Cancelling indexing makes the index unusable

Post by SeanBannister »

If you right click the progress bar during indexing and cannel the indexing process you can no longer search your existing indexes which were completely indexed previous to this new indexing process which you cancelled. The search results area remains blank. I tried closing and reopening Everything. The only way I could get the indexes to work again is to remove the folder that I cancelled indexing on.

Here's how I reproduce this bug:
1. Download a fresh version of Everything 1.5.0.1335a
2. Add a new folder by clicking Tools... Options.... Folders... Add....
3. Wait for the folder to index.
4. Add another folder but while it's indexing right click on the progress bar and cancel indexing.

Everything's Search results are now completely blank, even the first folder that was originally indexed and displaying is no longer showing.
void
Developer

Re: 1.5.0.1335a Cancelling indexing makes the index unusable

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report SeanBannister,

Cancelling the initial index will require the user to either:
1). Force a rebuild from Tools -> Options -> Indexes.
-or-
2). Make a change to your indexes under Tools -> Options -> Index.

The user can cancel the index by right clicking the indexing progress bar and clicking Cancel or by pressing Ctrl + Break.

Adding a folder to or removing a folder from your index requires a "quick" rebuild.
Only the new folder will be scanned.

The next alpha update will not save a cancelled index to disk.
This means the user can exit Everything, then restart Everything to restart the indexing process.
This will allow you to add a folder -> cancel indexing -> remove the folder -> cancel indexing -> exit -> restart -> load without a reindex.