No-star-all and several *

General discussion related to "Everything".

No-star-all and several *

Post by 2530 »

Hello,
I try to list folders and files by
nostarall: d:\i*\k*\
or
nostarall: d:\i*\k*\ somestring

When I just enter
d:\i*\k*\
I get lots of unwanted hits, since the first * is "greedy" (starall: is default), but nostarall: should just find d:\isome\ksome\ in direct path-line - I have checked there are such paths -, but instead the list remains empty if I enter the string into the search bar, and if I send it by
"c:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -s nostarall: d:\i*\k*\ -s
I get the error message "Unable to open file list: d:\i*\k*\ is not a valid file list."

Do I make some mistake (again), or can Everything not "resolve" such search strings with more than one *?

I tried both with paths which have just one \isome\ksome\ each, and with paths which have several \isomes\ksomes\ each, every time with the same negative result. Btw, that should not make any difference anyway, since Everything should LIST all finds, not identify some specific find.

Thank you very much!

P.S. I could try with regex instead, but I had hoped to avoid that recurring "fuss" with the nostarall: switch.
NotNull

Re: No-star-all and several *

Post by NotNull »

It sounds like you are using Everything 1.4.

The no-star-all: modifier is new in Everything 1.5 (and is the default):
star-all:
no-star-all:

When enabled, wildcard * will match all characters.
When disabled, wildcard * will match all characters except \ or /

For example:
starall:c:*abc.txt

Default: Disabled.

If you want to overrule the default no-star-all: behaviour, either use star-all: or replace * with **, like d:\i**\k**

Post by 2530 »

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, you are right (again)! But on your download page, the latest download is 1.4.22 (I have 1.4.21).

I had seen the not-star-all switch on your page http://voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 60&p=41555 while searching for "regex (un)greedy", and it's only now that I discover the link (on top of the page) for 1.5 alpha.

I'll try that instead, since I would need this switch again and again.

And here again, I'd like to confirm Everything is the best tool on every Windows pc, thank you so much for your brilliant work!!!

P.S. I just see on that page ( http://voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9787 ) that I can use both versions concurrently: perfect!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

2530 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:57 pm thank you so much for your brilliant work!!!
Although I agree that my reply was beyond-brilliant 8-) ;) , you should thank @void instead as he is the genius behind all this brilliance.