Filelist suggestions

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Filelist suggestions

Post by meteorquake »

Good morning! A few suggestions for this great feature...

* .efu7z - Filelists can be big files... it would be useful if there were a compressed 7z version, say .efu7z, which could be opened directly by Everything, so a large filelist residing on a non-LAN server will open swiftly. Ideally Everything should be able to create a .efu7z too if that format is chosen. (I'd rate such compressed filelists as particularly important for filelists!)

* Commented Options - In Things to Do you have "Store the index root of a file list in a file list comment?" That would be very useful reducing the primary (uncompressed) size and making changes easier. If you're reading or altering the file in a program, the uncompressed size is definitely important. You may want the opening comment to be a version number to allow for future choices. Heading comments would also allow the file to include a comment about what it is, filtering used (i.e. at least when exported straight from search results), when it was created, becomes out of date (that can generate a warning), recommended update frequency etc. A case use of the filtering used would be that it would make it possible to provide in the GUI or command-line a "Rebuild list" option when performed at the original source. I can see comment options should be a minor thing using a comment symbol or opening whitespace that won't appear in the opening column names line.

* Read with different root - The ability to load a Filelist with a root different from its default, presumably both via gui or command-line. As well as obvious uses it would allow a local list to be pointed to http://.... versions of the files, if Everything could launch them when directed that way.

* Filelist to Everything - When you create a file list you can save it, but there's a good use scenario for an option also just to open it in Everything as that would allow an easy way to manually build up a special file list for a particular task you are doing, and then go and use it directly without having to save and reopen it. If you happen not to finish the task then you would choose to save it from the Everything gui using Export to continue next day.

* PHP - I'm not sure if there's one already but a PHP script with a few settings at the top that can be tweaked and put on a website that provides an efu output for a website will be useful. If not already done I'll write one at some point and share it. It would be useful if Everything could read such a list directly from the web (maybe it can already!).

Cheers, David
therube

Re: Filelist suggestions

Post by therube »

Filelist to Everything
I'm doing that, starting from the command line, using ES.

(Various batch files here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12552.)
void
Developer

Re: Filelist suggestions

Post by void »

I will consider adding options to compress efu files, store paths relative to a defined root and override the root.

Thank you for the suggestions.

To open a file list in Everything, please try the -filelist <filename.efu> command line option:

Everything.exe -filelist "my file list.efu"

To open a file list in the Everything File List Editor, please try the -edit <filename.efu> command line option:

Everything.exe -edit "my file list.efu"