[OT] - disk backup using Everything

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Terka

[OT] - disk backup using Everything

Post by Terka »

Hi, its kind of OT post, but might be beneficial for others too:
Have to large discs, second is backup one. From time to time doing the backup.
On the first time im moving files to different folders, so if i would be able to relocate the files, the backup would be much faster
Please do you have any idea how can i use the quickness of Everything to do such backup?
Everything knows the files locations, even Everything itself can realocate the files, and do it within seconds.
Otherwise i must export the lists out of Everything and relocate the files. I do it using autohotkey, but for large nr. of files it take also long time.
Thank you!
therube

Re: [OT] - disk backup using Everything

Post by therube »

On the first time im moving files to different folders
Are the relative locations the same?
Like C:/docs/
And Z:/backups/docs/ (where Z: is the backup drive)

And now you want it to be
Z:/docs/ rather then Z:/backups/docs/ ?

Moving, within the same volume, is a "move" (so instant).
Moving between different volumes, is a "copy" to the destination (& a delete from the source, so much slower).
Terka

Post by Terka »

all the paths are the same
s:\docs (source)
d:\docs (destination)
even if it were not, you can use subst command to do so.
My point is to have same data on both discs. Same structure.
I usually delete something from s:, move something to new folder, or create something new.
All these actions should be later mirror to the destination.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Terka wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:50 pm Have to large discs, second is backup one. From time to time doing the backup.
I use a Windows utility Robocopy to do a daily backup from my two hard disk partitions (C: and T:) to a USB external drive, and on weekends a further backup from the nightly backup to a second external drive.
RoboCopy is fast; not at all like the old COPY and XCOPY commands.
I can post details if you like.
Cheers, Chris
Terka

Post by Terka »

my point is to move the data from disk1\location1 to disk1\location2
instaed of copy whole disk
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Terka wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:32 pm my point is to move the data from disk1\location1 to disk1\location2
instaed of copy whole disk
Hi Terka.
RoboCopy will do what you have asked for so far.
This Page then look for Copy Options
Cheers, Chris
Terka

Post by Terka »

i dont think robocopy can recognize if a file moved to different location
Terka

Post by Terka »

anyone please ?
therube

Post by therube »

You might see if FreeFileSync can do what you need?
(While I use the program, I've never used the DMF feature, & have only ever used the Update sync method.)

"Detect Moved Files

FreeFileSync is able to detect moved files on one side and can quickly apply the same move on the target side during synchronization instead of a slow copy and delete. To make this work, FreeFileSync requires a file system that supports file IDs (as alternative to file paths) and database files ("sync.ffs_db") to compare the current file system state against the time of the last synchronization.

The Two way variant already creates database files, therefore, detection of moved files is always active.
The Mirror variant however, does not use the database files to find synchronization directions, so detection of moved files is not enabled by default. If you don't mind the creation of the database files, you can enable this feature by selecting the Detect moved files checkbox. "

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?top ... n-settings
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Terka wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:34 pm I don't think RoboCopy can recognize if a file moved to different location
Hi Terka,
I assume that you read that portion of the RoboCopy documentation I provided in my link in the earlier response. If not, now might be a good tie to read the documentation and be overwhelmed by RoboCopy's functions.
I know that:-
(1) RoboCopy can create MIRror images
(2) RoboCopy can /MOV and /MOVE objects
(3) RoboCopy can /PURGE objects
I am no expert on RoboCopy (it is on my ToDo list), but I believe it will take you most of the way there.
I suspect that after the RoboCopy run, you can turn Everything loose to locate, and optionally automatically delete, true duplicates of your files.

There are many maintenance jobs on our computers, in our homes, and in our gardens, that require two different but related tools.
Often the only way to get a complex job done automatically with one step is to pay someone else to do that job.
Many of us end up creating some sort of simple program, such as a batch file or similar macro-like device instead of hiring a clerk to come in once a week.

Now, if you have located a specific aspect of RoboCopy that tells you that your task can't be done with RoboCopy, please post back here and tell me the specific aspect of RoboCopy that presents you with an insurmountable obstacle.

Cheers, Chris