Functions list in search bar menu

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
gregor

Functions list in search bar menu

Post by gregor »

I think Everything can be complicated for new users (like me). They don't even know that such things as functions exist. And if they learn them, only a few at most, and after a while they forget. Searching for a solution on the Internet to quickly find something in the program is discouraging and makes no sense.

A list of functions, regex, commands from the drop-down menu in the search bar could help.
There is something similar for example in AIMP player settings:
All could be grouped in categories and with simple description. After hovering over a given item from the list, a balloon with a more detailed description could appear. Each selected item would be inserted at the cursor position. Clicking LMB twice at inserted/typed function is selecting it, but with this new improvement it could paste/change it to selected from the functions menu.
In the menu, of course, there should be standard system commands such as Copy, Paste etc.

In addition, to make it easier when using keyboard, when you start to type a function, a list of matching functions could be displayed below, which could be selected by pressing the down/up/enter keys.
NotNull

Re: Functions list in search bar menu

Post by NotNull »

Excel has a similar approach forinserting functions.
Something like this has been suggested, although I can't find the relevant threads at the moment.

For now:
The Advanced Search dialog can take away some of the complexity of learning the Everything search syntax.
This can be activated through menu:Search => Advanced Search
void
Developer

Re: Functions list in search bar menu

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback gregor,

A right click context menu from the search box that lists all search modifiers and useful search functions is on my TODO list.