Start a manual rescan on Everything Service without stopping the service

General discussion related to "Everything".
7824c5a4

Start a manual rescan on Everything Service without stopping the service

Post by 7824c5a4 »

Hello, I am trying to run Everything as a service on Windows Server for my users. I would like to do a full rescan of all the indexed files, but do not want to stop the service to open the GUI and start a new manual rescan since many are actively using it right now. Is there a way to interact with the already running service from the command line? I have attempted to run

Code: Select all

everything.exe -reindex
but it tries to launch a new instance. I believe I am misunderstanding the documentation on how to interact with the service. Can someone help me understand?

Thanks!
void
Developer

Re: Start a manual rescan on Everything Service without stopping the service

Post by void »

Please try the latest nightly build.

Version 1.4.1.1011 adds a -rescan-all command line option.

-reindex doesn't quite work as the HTTP server will cache empty results, forcing clients to reconnect or change the search parameters.

Create a new service with the following command from an command prompt running as an adminstrator:

Code: Select all

sc create "Everything Client Reindex" binpath= "\"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe\" -client-svc -rescan-all -no-first-instance" start= demand
Note: the space after binpath= and start= is important

Manually start this service when you want to rescan all your folder indexes.
The service will start and exit immediately after sending a command to the normal client service to rescan all indexes.
7824c5a4

Post by 7824c5a4 »

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, the client-service does not run scheduled rescans on its own and will require the additional reindex service be created? If that is the case, I will try 1.4.1.1011 with the method you described and set a Windows Task Scheduler job to auto start that service at the time I want the scan to happen.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The client service does run scheduled rescans (daily by default)

Consider scheduling a rescan more often:
  • Stop the Everything client service:
    Everything.exe -stop-client-service
  • Run Everything.exe
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • For each folder:
    • Change to Rescan every 3 hours (adjust to your preferred update frequency).
  • Click OK.
  • Completely exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • Restart the Everything client service:
    Everything.exe -start-client-service
7824c5a4

Post by 7824c5a4 »

Got it. I will adjust that frequency. My only concern is that we are indexing 3.5M files, and occasionally while indexing, the ETP server becomes unresponsive for several minutes while it searches some of the larger files on the network share that we are indexing. Im not sure I want that to happen during production hours, but I will try it for now and see how it handles.

Also, should the service always be restarted from the command line using the -stop/start-client-service, or is it safe to stop and start it via the Windows Services tool?
void
Developer

Post by void »

It is safe to start/stop the Everything Client Service from Administrative Tools -> Services -> Everything Client Service -> Start/Stop.

-start/stop-client-service issue the exact same commands.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I found this thread to figure out what "-rescan-all" is, since it's now in the released build. It's not mentioned either in the -? help or the place on the site documenting the switches.

So, the difference with -reindex is the http aspect mentioned above? Anything else? It's a little unclear when to use one over the other.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'm a bit late to the party..

I've updated the Everything 1.4 command line options help page to include -rescan-all.

Basically this command rescans all folder indexes (not NTFS volumes).

It has the same behavior as clicking Rescan All Now button under Tools -> Options -> Folders.

If you want to completely reindex all your volumes and folder indexes, use the -reindex command line option.