Reduce Load on Network Drives

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Graupunkt

Reduce Load on Network Drives

Post by Graupunkt »

Hi,

do you think it is possible to add something to reduce the load on network drive while indexing? I have several cases where a network is used by more than one user and when we start indexing (usually if we need to find something) the load on the nas, especially the disks go on 100%. This makes it quite a pain for others to use these network locations.

My suggestion is to add an option to reduce the load Everything causes to network drives. From other software (allsync, Michael thummerer) I have seen something like add an delay of x ms per file access. This might reduce indexing speed, but I would prefer to index slowly instead of late at night or kill the network for others users for a longer time.

Might be an additional option for the search phrase "notindexed:content:", too

thanks for your awesome tool, kind regards
Graupunkt
void
Developer

Re: Reduce Load on Network Drives

Post by void »

Please try enabling folder_update_thread_mode_background:
  • Copy and paste the following into the Everything search box:
    /folder_update_thread_mode_background=1
  • Press ENTER in the Everything search box.
  • If successful, folder_update_thread_mode_background=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
Everything will now only rescan your network folders when there is no other IO.
This can cause Everything to take a very long time to rescan your network shares.

An Everything Server is in development.
Graupunkt

Re: Reduce Load on Network Drives

Post by Graupunkt »

Thanks for the info,

i have seen this info earlier and have done some testing. I have finally installed everything on a server as only machine to index network shares and set the clients to use this as ETP server. This is working for me now together with the thread mode background.

Thanks for your help.