Update of portable versions of ET 1.5 Alpa

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
mczerski

Update of portable versions of ET 1.5 Alpa

Post by mczerski »

I am using portable 1.5.0.1275a (x64) and would like to update it to a newer version of 1.5 Alpha. Is it possible to download the latest Alpha 64-bit portable version and unpack it into my 1.5.0.1275a (x64) folder hoping that the software will be updated while my original settings will be preserved? ET is a great software, but I feel somewhat lost in the plethora download opportunities and options. I think it would help users if the latest Alpha version would be displayed in the "Download" tab – with optional references to more detailed guidelines to changes made in this version as compared to the previous one. "Download" tab shows and implies that the latest version of the software is 1.4 and I am afraid that most prospective users may think that the development of the software got frozen!
Anyway, thanks for your excellent software and constant efforts to improve it. Best rgds.
NotNull

Re: Update of portable versions of ET 1.5 Alpa

Post by NotNull »

There is a reference to Everything 1.5 on the download page:
2022-10-29 20_57_24-Downloads - voidtools — Mozilla Firefox.png
2022-10-29 20_57_24-Downloads - voidtools — Mozilla Firefox.png (38.76 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Everything 1.4 is considered to be the stable version.

Everything 1.5 is in development (alpha version), although it is quite stable and complete.
Alpha and beta versions are not shown on the download page.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thank you for your advice. In fact, I see I have overlooked the option you indicated in your message.
But how about my "key" question related to updates of former ET 1.5 Alpha portable versions?
tuska

Post by tuska »

Hi,

The latest Everything 1.5 version is announced here and here -> Everything-1.5.0.1326a.x64 - 27.10.2022.
Earlier Everything 1.5 versions are announced between link 1 and 2.
  1. EXIT Everything completely [right click the Everything icon in system tray and click Exit]
  2. STOP the 'Everything Service'.
    Open the Task Manager with Ctrl + Shift + ESC, click on "Services", then click on the service "Everything"
    with the right mouse button and click the menu item "Stop".
    The status "Stopped" must be displayed. Do NOT close the Task Manager afterwards.
  3. OVERWRITE your existing Everything64.exe with the one which is e.g. in the zipped file "Everything-1.5.0.1326a.x64.zip"
    and that you have downloaded before.
    [In Total Commander position the cursor on the .zip file, then press Ctrl + Page Down key.
    The file "Everything64.exe" will be displayed. Then copy the current program file over the existing (older) program file].
  4. START the 'Everything Service'.
    Switch back to the Task Manager, then click on the service "Everything" with the right mouse button and click the menu item "Start".
    The status "Running" must be displayed. Close the Task Manager.
  5. RUN Everything64.exe
Your settings are preserved!
therube

Post by therube »

It cannot hurt to backup your settings ahead of time.
(Exit Everything before doing so.)
(Things do change. For instance, in the past, some keyboard mappings changed & were not picked & so had to be manually re-applied.)

2. may not necessarily be needed. though it cannot hurt to do it.
can also be done from the command-line using -uninstall-service & -install-service switches.
Everything.exe -uninstall-service
Everything.exe -install-service