Highlighters

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Highlighters

Post by meteorquake »

Filters often represent a project one is working on, and in that project file names often have certain keywords in them, and the more one uses Everything, the more one places special words in filenames so they are easier to find using Everything.
For example, plants I want to revisit I put "REVISIT" in the filename followed by the location and reason for revisit, and I put "EVAL" when there's enough photo details to evaluate the plant. There are many others I put in the names. For history projects, places or sources of info will get put in the title, e.g. Edinburgh or EveningDispatch (a newspaper).
So it would be very useful if a filter had a keywords box where you can type in keywords and when you are using that filter the keywords are highlighted in the results irrespective of search text or none. e.g. REVISIT,EVAL - the keywords could have spaces in them and I enter them in a case sensitive way.
In my ideal world you could also colour them too e.g. ff0000:REVISIT,008000:EVAL
In this idea I actually think these highlighters could be a separate system from the filters, and which are referred to by the filters. For example, in my botany work I have a number of filters and they would all want to apply the same keyword highlighter. I may also want to pull up a particular highlighter outwith a filter, such as if I'm in a general search. Perhaps the filter highlighter could therefore be ff0000:REVISIT,008000:EVAL,*botany - highlighting the words REVISIT, EVAL and inheriting also the highlight items in the highlighter named botany.
In searching a highlighter could be called up by the modifier highlighter:
Cheers, David
void
Developer

Re: Highlighters

Post by void »

I will consider an option to highlight keywords with different colors.

Thank you for the suggestion.
meteorquake

Re: Highlighters

Post by meteorquake »

That's great; and I was thinking a filter wouldn't need a special box for it unless for user friendliness, as it could all be written in its search line as highlighter: modifier followed by a mixture of separated words and saved highlighters (probably the whole in double quotes).
In addition, perhaps an option that states to highlight the single word that directly follows some custom marker. eg if I had chosen @ for my marker and my filename had ....@Edinburgh... then Edinburgh would get highlighted when presenting filenames -- I wouldn't have @ in a filename normally, but if I did it could be some other symbol or eg @@.
You could even have Everything compile a list of such keywords detected from all the filenames so the user is fully organised with what they all were and to avoid generating accidental synonyms. For example, I use keywords in audio documentary files I've listened to, placing in the name eg LISTENED, EXCELLENT, BAD, OKAY and so forth, but I might put VERYGOOD instead of EXCELLENT which is an unnecessary synonym. With the symbol method used these would be @LISTENED etc.
In my botany I mark photos with words like SEED, FRUIT, EXAMPLE etc in the filenames.
I'm sure many people other than myself will be putting keywords in filenames as part of organisation, or have frequent words of interest. I never used to do it before Everything :) :)
David