"Group By"

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
chrism4x

"Group By"

Post by chrism4x »

Love the simplicity and speed of this great tool. I just don't know where I would be without it!

One thing I was wondering - we can sort by things (such as date), but can we get "Group by" as well? It would be nice to have a small separator between the different elements in a sort.

Fingers crossed.

chrism4x
void
Developer

Re: "Group By"

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback chrism4x,

Currently, no.

Everything doesn't use groups.

I will consider adding groups to Everything.
Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, please try limiting your results with a dm: search:

dm:2021
dm:2021-06
dm:2021-06-19
NewBe

Post by NewBe »

+1 for Group By
please see if possible to add, GroupBy Folders,
like.. search: .mkv and then, Group By Their Folder Locations
GlennSlayden

An ode to `GroupBy`...

Post by GlennSlayden »

I'm new to your epic software as of today, but as a first impression, it's just so obviously a tour-de-force. Congrats! Of course, no project has unlimited resources, so the challenges and trade-offs are always going to be difficult and painful.

That said, the unique clarity of your ambitious vision patently suggests to me already that, in confronting those hard choices, you (and any team I'm not aware of) have an extraordinary ability to somehow sniff out and maintain a laser-sharp focus on pursuing only those very specifically leveraged design and development directions that always "happen" to turn out amazingly well--because they were so the deliberately and preciesly the smartest. It's so hard to be ruthless, but big things have to be left out.

Meanwhile, the price of any astonishing success is that it draws ever more contrast with those very same widening feature gaps. By which of course I'm now referring to the sad story of poor GroupBy, that Where and Select left behind.

Now I wouldn't use the word "glaring" to describe the omission just yet (oops), or ever, for example, say something droll like "Everything has an Elephant in the room." But surely we can admit that it's getting kinda hard not to notice. But you know all of this already, if I correctly described you above.

GroupBy... +1,000,000
therube

Post by therube »

I guess what you're wanting here is basically what I asked for, RFE: Find Duplicates - Highlight Alternating Dups.

Basically, giving one an easy way to visualize dups ("Groups") without having to "look".

And my thought, might be, rather then having (or in addition to) an about:config Preference for that, a button or hotkey to highlight "on demand". As in you might not want to have the highlighting enabled, generally, but in specific instances when you know you do, you hit a hotkey, that visually highlights the dups ("Groups") [& that would on remain in effect for the current search].
user123

Post by user123 »

This would be a very useful feature.
Currently in Windows 10 it is very limited and just shows 'a long time ago' for most items created a few months ago.
sort by.png
sort by.png (114.47 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Would be great if Everything could group items together by dates and not by some vague relative dates.