Fonts And Colors settings lack convenient Preview button

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Fonts And Colors settings lack convenient Preview button

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Under the

Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors

there are 3 buttons: OK, Cancel, Apply. How about changing Apply into Preview?

Right now Apply already kind of serves as a Preview feature - but the problem with is that after executing it, a pressing of Cancel button does not revert to previous settings. Because in such situation the Cancel button only closes the Tools window - thus not canceling at all and leaving a user with visual changes that might not be good enough or plain wrong in the eye of the beholder

Alternatively a Preview button could be just added as a fourth one - and changes presented by pressing it should not be saved / implemented for good unless user clicks also Apply

Also alternatively: visual changes could be presented dynamically / on the fly - i.e. choosing for example

Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Item > Status Bar

and then e.g.

Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Font > Viking

should at once show text in the Status Bar being written with the Viking font, without a need for clicking Apply or Preview button - but also presented changes should not be saved unless user clicks also Apply later on
void
Developer

Re: Fonts And Colors settings lack convenient Preview button

Post by void »

I will consider a preview button.

I know it's not what you want, but there is currently a sample view shown to give a preview of the selected font and color.

I also have on my TODO list to import and export themes.
This would make it easier to backup your current settings and experiment with different fonts and colors.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

void wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:18 am [...]
I know it's not what you want, but there is currently a sample view shown to give a preview of the selected font and color.
Maybe you could also consider reworking of this sample / preview area of color: by placing it next to an area with the current / previous color, in an adjacent way?

Programs like Photoshop or CorelDRAW show to user both the currently picked color and the old one, to which old one user can return by cancelling choosing process of new color. Seeing two boxes with their colors stick together [without any border / pause between them] is very useful when user is trying to come up with the best shade of some color. [If can needed I can provide some screenshots for reference]
void wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:18 amI also have on my TODO list to import and export themes.
[...]
Great
void
Developer

Post by void »

Maybe you could also consider reworking of this sample / preview area of color: by placing it next to an area with the current / previous color, in an adjacent way?
I will consider showing the current/previous color.
(making it easier to cancel a color change)

Thank you for the suggestion.
DerekZiemba

Post by DerekZiemba »

Regarding Fonts & Colors, could these and other view related settings be pulled out of Everything.ini into their own file?

This would make applying the same view settings on different PCs easier. Column configuration is another I wish was in its own file.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have on my TODO list to add a "Organize themes" dialog where you'll be able to create profiles and import/export fonts and colors.

I will consider adding an import/export option to Organize columns (Right click the result list column header)

Thank you for the suggestions.