Preview Pane to Top?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Voidelocity

Preview Pane to Top?

Post by Voidelocity »

Hello and thank you for Everything. I am wondering if you have any plans for a version with the Preview Pane at the top, including an Alt/P button and a pane resizing handler, I GIMP'd up an example of what I have in mind.

Last edited by void on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image
void
Developer

Re: Preview Pane to Top?

Post by void »

I will consider an option to show the preview at the top of the window.

Thank you for your suggestion.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

QuickLook provides that functionality: press the spacebar on a file in Everything and a QuickLook preview window will opn on top.
Voidelocity

Post by Voidelocity »

Thanks. I'm trying to get my image here so you can see it. LoL

Edit: Link changed... should work now

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1090434128502758731/
Voidelocity

Post by Voidelocity »

Well, I sent an email with the attachment to your voidtools email.
Voidelocity

Post by Voidelocity »

NotNull wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:37 am QuickLook provides that functionality: press the spacebar on a file in Everything and a QuickLook preview window will opn on top.
I appreciate that, but isn't this the "Suggestions" area?

I want everything (no pun intended) in one app and not have to rely on other items.

With this recent release having meta search, I can see Everything search blowing everyone else out of the water when it comes to a solid metasearch tool for windows.

This beats the heck out of
• Tagging for Windows
• allTags
• TagTower
• WinCatalog
• Tags for All
• RecentX
• DocxManager
• Tabbles
and all the others I have researched

I want to be able to search my tagged files without an app that is going to have its own database

Everything is the first tool I have come across that uses the metadata stored in the Windows OS files, just like the File Explorer search.

No others do this... and all of their backup/restore features are just way too risky when it comes to adding/editing/deleting and disconnecting and reconnecting external drives and dealing with crashes and re-installing, etc.

Everything Search Portable is great for this, because I can have several Portables set up for unique search functions independent of each other, with all their data stored in their unique folders.

I hope someone can see my image, because I show that I have several extensions with meta tags being picked up by the latest version, with previews, except the .mp3 extension... but I am only interested in documents, which Everything has my back perfectly.

Hey Dave and NotNull, have you two ever checked out FileMeta Association Manager? https://github.com/Dijji/FileMeta/releases

It is the tool that I use to add the ability of tagging to my .exe files, and any other file that doesn't have these entries out of the box.

It's an awesome tool... as its power is seen in my image of the various files I can tag and get as a result when I do a tag:hello search.

The preview to Top is for full width document readability... so that the content area in Details View can have lengthy columns (i.e. Comment). Side by side preview and details view overlaps too much (begging your pardon, Dave).

Also... do people know that when the Everything preview pane is open, showing an image or a document, that one can click their cursor inside the preview area (for focus) and then hold down Ctrl and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Voidelocity wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:32 pm ...
Also... do people know that when the Everything preview pane is open, showing an image or a document, that one can click their cursor inside the preview area (for focus) and then hold down Ctrl and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out?
I guess that depends on the preview handler used and it doesn't work here at all.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Voidelocity wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:32 pm I appreciate that, but isn't this the "Suggestions" area?
Yes it is. And that is why I suggested an alternative :D

In fact I interpreted your "on top" in a different way (as a separate window floating above the regular Everything one, but your attachment cleared up that misunderstanding.

Will take a look at FileMeta Association Manager. Sounds interesting ...

BTW: If you want to add an attachment yourself: when writing a post, there is an Attachments tab at the bottom, next to the Options tab.
Voidelocity

Post by Voidelocity »

Hello NotNull

Believe it or not, I was just browsing the forum and stumbled across this old thread (entitled "File Meta") viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10315 by user JimSpoon from 2021.

I am checking it out now, and thought you and any others might like to know.