Clarion to read from Filelist

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
sk2107

Clarion to read from Filelist

Post by sk2107 »

Hello,

when I read lists from Everything in clarion, they are obtained from the main data, but is it possible to read from “File List” instead by clarion.

thanks
void
Developer

Re: Clarion to read from Filelist

Post by void »

Not easily.

You can add your filelist to your Everything index.

Currently, the SDK only supports the main unnamed instance.
It is possible, with some changes to the SDK to support multiple instances.
(If you wanted to load the file list in a unique instance)

EFU file lists are CSV files.
Is there a CSV library for Clarion? -Are you looking to search the CSV file?
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

I agree that efu file is a csv file, but the structure of efu file contains the file path only (with other fields as numbers which requires action), I usually load the efu, read the extended information, export to csv and do my action and it is ok but takes many steps. but if there is a faster way to read info from efu by clarion the same way it reads the original list.

thank you.
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Hi. basically I am asking this to solve an issue in Everything that in "Advanced move to folder" (which is a very helpful feature) doesn't always work specially for large lists.

Regards
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

sk2107 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:54 am Hi. basically I am asking this to solve an issue in Everything that in "Advanced move to folder" (which is a very helpful feature) doesn't always work specially for large lists.
What happens? Or does not happen?
Do you get any feedback from Everything or Windows?
If I want to reproduce this, how large does the list need to be (ballpark figures)?
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

around 10 thousand or more sometimes, what happens is after selecting the "Advanced move to folder" option and fill the new format (for example d:\%1\%2.%3) and press "OK" nothing happens and it returns to the list screen without any kind of messages, some times I select the list in parts to complete the whole task.

luckily Clarion can connect to Everything, so I created an application to read the exported CSV file (which sometimes exceeds million records as I am rearranging multiple external hard disks).

thank you for follow up.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

sk2107 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:27 pm around 10 thousand or more sometimes, what happens is after selecting the "Advanced move to folder" option and fill the new format (for example d:\%1\%2.%3) and press "OK" nothing happens and it returns to the list screen without any kind of messages, some times I select the list in parts to complete the whole task.

luckily Clarion can connect to Everything, so I created an application to read the exported CSV file (which sometimes exceeds million records as I am rearranging multiple external hard disks).

thank you for follow up.
Such a job is easy in every 2 windows file manager.
I would never try it for many files inside of Everything.
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Hi,
sorry but no file manager could perform this task as simple as Everything because the operation involves multiple paths in multiple drives and dynamic target files, and this feature in Everything is so great regarding speed and simplicity and minimum steps.

My work deals with such cases so often and before I found this feature in Everything I used to create batch files to perform these tasks. and I believe that the issue of dealing with long lists in this specific option ("Advanced copy/move to folder") is file list buffering.

Regards