Popup for Destinations (Copy/Move/Hard Link/Symlink/Shortcut)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
jimspoon

Popup for Destinations (Copy/Move/Hard Link/Symlink/Shortcut)

Post by jimspoon »

I have been moving and hard linking the same files to multiple destination folders. At least with the methods I have been using, this is much more laborious than it should be! The main problem is finding/displaying all the destination folders. It seems that Everything could provide the perfect solution to this problem. Select the files to be copied/moved/hardlinked/symlinked/shortcutted, then hit a hotkey. Up pops a destinations dialog, which is a Everything search window with searches limited to folders. In a Search bar, type in just enough characters to locate one of the destination folders, then check a checkbox for that desired destination. Continue searching and selecting all the desired destinations, and then click one of the following buttons - copy/move/hardlink/symlink/shortcut. (For hardlinks, if the selected destination folder is on another volume, a symlink could be created instead.)
MoanChomsky

Re: Popup for Destinations (Copy/Move/Hard Link/Symlink/Shortcut)

Post by MoanChomsky »

I second this motion. Or idea. Its a good idea. I'm suspicious of NTFS hardlinks though.. I'm not sure if it was my de-duper software or the 3rd party hardlinker I use- but SOMETHING completely scrambled most of my files, shifting the names -> inodes around apparently in a random fashion. I didn't notice it until I had over-written my backups. :( 40,000 videos mangled- including all my episodes of Peewee's Playhouse! (j/k ;) )

the hard linker is something called "link shell extension". It sounds Nintendo'ey, (because the Link thing, and maybe koopa shells), but it provides a great explanation for some high and some low copy and backup mechanisms it has, which includes knowledge/detection of hard links, and keeping the link structure intact. You might want to glance at it as food for thought, and maybe something to hack into your own code.
jimspoon

Re: Popup for Destinations (Copy/Move/Hard Link/Symlink/Shortcut)

Post by jimspoon »

Link Shell Extension is great! But in my attempts to send hardlinks to multiple folders scattered across the volume, I've discovered some oddities:

1. Right-click source file(s) > Pick Link Source to get source path(s). Right-click destination folder > Drop As > Hardlink. Hardlink is dropped. Now right-click another folder - Drop As option no longer appears! The "Drop As" option is only good for one drop!

2. Right-click source file(s) > Pick Link Source to get source path(s). Right-click a single destination folder. Drop As option appears. But select multiple destination folders > right-click selected folders > Drop As option does not appear. Hardlinks can be sent to only one folder at a time.