Any way to schedule when it does it's indexing?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
thereza

Any way to schedule when it does it's indexing?

Post by thereza »

I like everything, but it seems to run throughout the day, and it's not nearly as fast as it's claimed to be. It takes over an hour to run (~200G worth of info on my HD - and I have a velociraptor drive which is super fast). I would like it to index at a specific time (say, 5am). Is there any way to configure that?

Thanks,
reza
David
Developer

Re: Any way to schedule when it does it's indexing?

Post by David »

How many files do you have ?

Please try running "Everything" in debug mode.

In debug mode "Everything" will display critical timing information and other useful information.

To run "Everything" in debug mode, run:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -debug
What is displayed in the debugging window?
thereza

Post by thereza »

It doesn't display anything, it just opens an empty window. Though now I'm thinking the indexing that I was noticing wasn't caused by everything (see http://reza.net/wordpress/?p=219 for what the problem was). So when does everything do it's indexing and what makes it so fast?

Thanks,
Reza
David
Developer

Post by David »

Try:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -debug
I had a bogus full stop in the above post.
So when does everything do it's indexing and what makes it so fast?
When you first run "Everything" it will index all your files and folders (this should only happen once).
"Everything" reads the NTFS Master File Table (MFT) to build its initial database.

The next time you run "Everything" it will update its database using the USN Change Journal.
at45

Post by at45 »

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have the same query. Periodically, I'll boot up the PC and there will be a flurry of HDD activity. Low and behold, Everything says "Scanning" in the status bar each time this happens. But it doesn't seem to happen for any particular reason.

Whatever is going on, I don't think it's supposed to be. It's as though Everything has lost it's DB and it making a new one. As David said, the indexing should only happen once, right? I really like Everything Search, so I'm keen to solve this.

If anyone doesn't like thread resurrections, tough :P
therube

Post by therube »

Disable Everything from starting up automatically.
See if activity then continues on startup.
If it does, then not every would be attributable to Everything.

Then start Everything manually & note how long, how much activity it takes.
at45

Post by at45 »

I've done this. It is definitely Everything. It takes about 3 minutes to scan both my drives, C first, then X.

I have it start as a scheduled task, because that way I don't have to deal with the admin privileges thing.

Is there some way I can get it to log what it's doing in order to work out why?

Thanks
at45

Post by at45 »

Unfortunately I have to come back to this topic. Right now Everything is grinding away at my disks again, and it will be for the next few minutes.

I've done some testing. Everything does not give any indication of why it updates the database in debug mode - so I can't offer information about what is causing it. I took screenshots but they seem to be useless. I am determined to solve this though. All I want really is an option to tell it to never, ever re-scan the drive unless I issue the instruction, but I won't hold my breathe for that.

Today this occurred after a reboot following a Windows Update (and I turned off System Restore). I wouldn't mind so much if it just scanned C: on these occasions, but to do all the drives?

Anyway any takers?

Thanks