barip15..Firefox connecting to dodgy site.

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
harryray2

barip15..Firefox connecting to dodgy site.

Post by harryray2 »

Does anyone have any idea what the site barip15.com is? On my virus checker network connections it shows Firefox as connecting to this site.
I have it blocked in my Host file and also on Ublock so it's not causing any problems, but I can't seem to get rid of the connection.

I've done a Google search, but the only references to it seem to be from various blocking lists.
therube

Re: barip15..Firefox connecting to dodgy site.

Post by therube »

I'll assume that if you were to use Edge, Chrome, or whatever, the same does not occur?

Disable all extensions (or run FF in Safe Mode for a while) & see if the hits continue?
(I.e., it might be a [malicious] extension trying to reach out & touch [someone ;-)].)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Yes, thanks, I thought of restarting in safe mode..I'll give it a try later on. I'll also start Tor to see if I have the same problem.

It hasn't caused me problems so fas asI have it blocked in the host file, but Tor ignores the host file. Actually, do you have any idea how to get Tor to use the host file, or is that not possible?

If it is an extension, I guess I'll have to start a process of elimination to track down the extension responsible.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I restarted FF in safe mode and, much to my surprise, it still seems to be connecting to barip15....I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using FF portable.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

It's listed on a number of "malicious domains" host file lists. So you have some sort of malware installed that you should get removed. Best practice always is to nuke the system and start fresh.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

The connection is coming from Firefox, but as I've blocked the domain it appears to not sending or receiving any data.

I really need to track down what's causing it, as I'm using FF portable which I back up regularly, and which has a lot of info on which I can't duplicate.
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if you still see the connection.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I tried doing this but got the same result.

I use the portableapps.com version of Firefox, I'm beginning to wonder if it's a problem with the portableapps version.
therube

Post by therube »

(AFAIK, the Portable Apps version is exactly the same as FF itself - with exception of the PA loader & associated parts.)

Look at things, external.
Antivirus or similar?
Rogue program that may be injecting itself (hence barip15.com) into the FF process?