Context Menu option

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
enduser

Context Menu option

Post by enduser »

I would like to suggest an option in the context menu to open the path containing the file or the folder itself in a command prompt when right-clicking on the filename or path column respectively in the result list.
void
Developer

Re: Context Menu option

Post by void »

To show an "Open Command window here" context menu item for folders in Everything and Windows Explorer:
  • Hold down Shift and right click a folder result.

To always show the "Open Command window here" context menu item for folders in Everything and Windows Explorer:
  • From the Start menu, search for:
    regedit
  • Click Registry Editor.
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd
  • Change the name of the following value:
    Extended
    to:
    _Extended

To always show the "Open Command window here" context menu item for files in Everything and Windows Explorer:
  • From the Start menu, search for:
    regedit
  • Click Registry Editor.
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
  • Create a new key called:
    cmd
  • Set the (Default) value to:
    Open Command window here
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\cmd
  • Create a new key called:
    command
  • Set the (Default) value to:

Code: Select all

cmd.exe /s /k pushd "%V"

Consider using the Explorer Path context menu item in Everything to open a command prompt:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Context menu tab on the left.
  • Select Explorer Path.
  • Check Show this item.
  • Change the command to:

$exec(cmd.exe /s /k pushd "$pathpart(%1)")
  • Click OK.
Now, when you right click files/folders and click Explorer Path, Everything will now open a command prompt at the containing folder.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

David, do you know how to do this but open the command window as elevated, or even better, to open an elevated command window with path of the file or folder showing.

Unfortunately, drag and drop doesn't seem to work with and elevated command, so I have to copy and paste the file into the Window
void
Developer

Post by void »

The following command worked for me:

powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden -Command "Start-Process cmd.exe -ArgumentList '/s /k pushd """%V"""' -Verb RunAs"
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, I currently have a programme (ele.exe) which does this, starts an elevated prompt, but I've been looking for a way to integrate this into the context menu and enable a file/folder to be passed into it rather than manually copying and pasting into the command window.
froggie

Post by froggie »

The freeware program Send To Toys can create an entry in the Send-To sub-menu of the Context menu that will do what you want, among many other things. I have used it for selected files in Everything and Explorer for several years.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... _toys.html
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, I used to use send to toys years ago and I've been searching for it that runs on Windows 7.
It's been difficult finding something that will pass a file or directory directly to an elevated prompt.

Update.
I just ran it through virus total and it came back with 5 hits, 3 of the hits are checkers I ignore, but two hits were from fairly well known checkers.
Have you had any problems using this?

I'll give it a try.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I've also downloaded it from Majorgeeks and Softpedia and the programme had 13 hits, also, Malwarebytes blocked the site completely.
froggie

Post by froggie »

I have had no issues with the version I have on Windows 7, downloaded December 2018, internal creation date March 31, 2012. Norton has never flagged it, nor has Malwarebytes scans.

I can't speak for what is currently on Major Geeks, but I have downloaded many files from them over the years and never had a virus issue.