Find extracted archives (zip, 7z, rar,...)?

General discussion related to "Everything".
eagleeyez

Find extracted archives (zip, 7z, rar,...)?

Post by eagleeyez »

Hi,

I am trying to use everything to find the folders of extracted archives so I can delete them example filename.zip > foldername

I tried using dupe: folder: files: but this doesn't work.

Thank you.
void
Developer

Re: Find extracted archives (zip, 7z, rar,...)?

Post by void »

This is not really possible in Everything 1.4.

The following search in Everything 1.5 may help:

folder:regex:^(.*)$ fileexists:\1.zip

This will find folders where a zip file with the same name exists.

For example:
This will list the folder: C:\zip\Everything
If the following file exists: C:\zip\Everything.zip

If the folder name doesn't match the zip filename, the following may help:
*.zip regex:container-filenames:^(.*?)/ folder-exists:\1

However, this finds the zip files where a folder exists in the same location with the same name as the root folder in the zip file.

Adding the regex match 1 column may help with the above (Right click the result list column header and under Search, check Regular expression match 1)

If you want the folder names, instead of the zip names, try the following:
Set the search to:
*.zip regex:container-filenames:^(.*?)/ folder-exists:\1 column1:=$path:\\\1
Right click the result list column header and click Add Columns
Search for: column
Select Column 1 and click OK.
Select all the files in the result list. (Ctrl + A)
Right click on a selected result under the Columns 1 column (make sure the mouse cursor is in the columns 1 column) and click Copy Column 1 to Clipboard.
Change the Search to filelist1:
Hold down Ctrl and left click the filelist1: text in the search.
Paste your filenames from the clipboard (Ctrl + V) and click OK.

Note: column1: is experimental.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

Thank you so much for answering my question, I am really grateful how you took the time to send some examples and detailed instructions...

I will try to do what you told me and see if it can help... I which if this could be done via an automated search so it become easy to remove the archives or folders instead of looking one by one (my download folder contains thousands of files) ... I looked for something that could do just this and it is the first time I think about something and I don't find a software who already do it, I have to become programmer myself I guess :) or craft something quickly via python, anyway this one of the few things that I think miss in cleanup (space reclaiming) softwares...

Again, thank you for being so amazing!
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

David,

I don't know how you are able to come with such solution so fast, I find it amazing how sophisticated Everything is while keeping things pretty simple in apparence.

Your solution worked very well for zip files but unfortunately it doesn't work for other common archive formats (rar, 7z, ... ), I guess it relies on windows explorer native zip support to work this way, I lack a lot of knowledge to be able to improve this... I just hope that there will be some solution that will do the same for every compressed file (including executables)...

This alone btw saved me a lot of time and I quickly recovered a lot of disk space on my main ssd (my NAS is down but I cannot imagine how much it will help me recover from the terabytes of data)

Thank you again!
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

BTW is it possible to configure Everything to open path (as it does right now) but with Files (https://github.com/files-community/Files) as it has the option to list directories alongside files as you can see in the attached screenshot, this allows to easily find the archives next to the folders (when I use your first solution) which works for all different extensions... and even in other scenarios and for some other users using an alternative file manager is really something, so maybe implanting the possibility to specify it in the settings will help some (without having the need to change Windows Explorer from being the default file manager)

Edit: I found how to do it (to those who may concern)

1- go to Everything Options
2- select Context Menu
3- change "Open Path" command field to this

Code: Select all

$exec("files.exe" -select "%1")
Attachments
ApplicationFrameHost_uPrsw6daWx.png
ApplicationFrameHost_uPrsw6daWx.png (59.71 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

I have a related question if you don't mind, is it possible to add items to context menu?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything uses the system context menu.

You can customize the system context menu through the registry.

There are a few extra context menu items in Everything which can be configure under Tools -> Options -> Context Menu.

Full customization is on my TODO list.