Firefox privileged pages

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
harryray2

Firefox privileged pages

Post by harryray2 »

Does anyone know anything about Firefox privileged pages, such as about:addons please?
NotNull

Re: Firefox privileged pages

Post by NotNull »

about:about
gives you a clickable list of all these pages.
(Most of these names are self-explanatory)

BTW: Everything (1.5) also has about:about . It was inspired by Firefox :)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, yes, I know all the pages. What I'm wanting to do is override the privileged pages so that some of my add-ons work on them, so that I do not get, for example, an error message stating that 'xxx-cannot be used on this page'.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That used to be possible with XUL based Firefox extensions (up until version 57 from 2017).
After that a new engine (Quantum) was introduced thta makes these things no longer an option.

Unfortunately, I have to say. I miss that every day (for example: mouse gestures don't work on these pages, including the New Tab page)

Strange that you get an error message; Firefox should not even load these extensions...
(apparently I do not know enough about Firefox to answer your question properly)
therube

Post by therube »

(FF) Webextensions are not allowed to work on "privileged' pages.
crock-a-doodle-doo.

And not only about: pages, but even a malware ridden place like, https://addons.mozilla.org is "privileged".

I haven't looked, but maybe ?, depending on what you're actually looking to do, maybe ? a bookmarklet might work?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I've come to the conclusion that unfortunately there's no way round it. I avoided using Quantum as long as I possibly could.

One of the addons I use that doesn't work with privileged pages is singlefile, which saves a page with various options.
I like to save my addons and debug addons page every so often and I have to use FF's native 'save as' which doesn't give an entirely satisfactory result.

I can use a screen grab programmes, but a privileged page wont allow scrolling capture. There's a couple of ways round it but it's a nuisance, and of course it just saves the page as an image file.

I have actually found a way round privileged FF sites by adding and modifying entries in about:config but my interests only lie with local pages.
therube

Post by therube »

I can use a screen grab programmes, but a privileged page wont allow scrolling capture.
Explain?
FF about.support.png
FF about.support.png (343.72 KiB) Viewed 11691 times
therube

Post by therube »

Heh. FF's own (built-in) screenshot tool fails to work on "privileged" pages.

Perhaps, it would work via the FF "Console", don't know?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I do already use the about:support page...

With the scrolling captue, one of the screen grab programmes I use is Snagit. Snagit has an option to grab a scrolling window as well as the usual visible window, area etc.
But Snagit's scrolling capture doesn't work with privileged pages, it just grabs the visible window.
Fortunately there is another option called panoramic, which involves manually scrolling the window from top to bottom and then captures it.

It's actually quite clever, but I just find it a bit of a pain to do.