Another indispensable tool for Windows users

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
hoxica5718

Another indispensable tool for Windows users

Post by hoxica5718 »

Just as I am happy with Everything, I wanted to mention that I am equally happy with another little-known gem of a software called MetaClick.

MetaClick is the only software I invariably seek to use immediately after I do a fresh installation of Windows.

Although it offers to 'install' itself, it actually does nothing more than 'extract' itself into a folder of our choice. It is fully portable and the settings are stored to a file in the folder of extraction, not in the registry. [The 'uninstall' shortcut that appears in the extracted folder does not have any effect in uninstalling the software, and the folder of extraction has to be manually deleted if the user wants to 'uninstall' the program.]

This little program automatically clicks mouse for me. It already has probably saved me from carpel tunnel syndrome.

One may have to play around with it a little initially to explore the various options. [Personally, although I am right-handed, I generally like to use the mouse with my left hand, and so I have selected the " R1: right single " option in the Buttons tab and the " R1 " button in the 'Return to' option in the Configuration tab with a Wait time of 500 ms]. It has an 'Ignore' option with wildcard support too, if one does not want the program to click on any window automatically.

It is incredibly useful, and available for FREE at http://yoy.be/metaclick.html .
raccoon

Re: Another indispensable tool for Windows users

Post by raccoon »

If you enjoy scripting languages, the program AutoHotkey also allows you to write scripts to automatically click the mouse or press keys and manipulate programs to automate tasks or tweak their behaviors. The included .CHM file has all the commands and syntax to learn from in examples, with a very active web forum and Discord server. Fun and crazy scripting language that's evolved over the last 20 years and still in active development.

(I recommend avoiding the Version 2 Beta, it's a very different language, more like JAVA instead of C++)
hoxica5718

Re: Another indispensable tool for Windows users

Post by hoxica5718 »

Thank You; I use the similar programming language AutoIt extensively to automate day-to-day mundane tasks. :D